Melbourne private school options for 15 yo

overhear

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can chime in with advice. We moved to Melbourne in September and put my 15 year-old daughter into year 9 at Uni High (top-rated government school) where she's finished out the school year.

She has made some friends at Uni, tho no one she sees outside of school, and had some good teachers, but we have concerns about whether it's the best option for her long-term. The context is that she's bright and creative, but disorganized and not terribly self-motivated unless she's inspired. She did great at her private school in the States -- which has small discussion-oriented classes, focuses on critical thinking, has very strong arts programs, and attracts very creative kids. However, at least in year 9, Uni High provides much less structure. The classes are big and sometimes chaotic, and the teachers don't assign homework, so it's completely up to the student to take the initiative to make sure that they learn the material (not likely to happen with my kid). As a result, she never does homework and has spent way too much time watching TV this term. And of course, it's hard to argue with her behavior because she's doing "fine" in school.

[As a side note: I hear that the quality of teaching at Uni High improves a great deal in later years, but the learning environment remains relatively unstructured.]

Could someone suggest private schools to consider that offer some of those qualities of my DD's previous school? I'd prefer co-ed, but would appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

I guess that uni high prepares them for university, there have been many articles about the fact that children from government schools handle the first year of uni much better than those from more structured private schools where they are given instruction on every facet of learning.

You need to contact private schools and see if they have a place for your daughter and you need to be doing it now. There are many good private schools around its just finding one that is going to suit your daughter.

I am not a fan of homework for children.

You have not mentioned where you are located so hard for anyone to recommend a school for you. Any of the top ones near the city you are probably looking at $30,000 a year.

I'm assuming that you live close in to Melbourne because you are in the Uni High zone. Top quality co-ed schools are scarce near the city - most are single sex. Contact St Michael's Grammar in St Kilda or you could try Penleigh and Essendon Grammar in Essendon (they are single sex schools that merge for Years 11 and 12 - your daughter would initially go to Penleigh) - but you may not find a space there. You could also try Wesley College (In St Kilda Rd) - it is also co-ed.

Good luck - and I hope you enjoyed the year off school fees because they will be back with a vengeance!

Thanks for the quick responses. I am dreading going back to paying tuition!

We live in Carlton so Wesley College and St. Michaels are accessible by tram. I've toured both of them and liked St. Michael's in particular, which does have a spot available. (Not sure about Wesley College.)

It's helpful to see what's put forth on the school websites, but it's much harder to get a sense of each school's actual culture, especially not knowing anyone local. I can see that St. Michael's has good outcomes in terms of test scores. Does anyone know what its reputation is in Melbourne, and more importantly, what the culture of the school is actually like? I would also appreciate any comparisons people could offer between Wesley College and St. M's.

Thanks rosiew for the suggestion about Penleigh. My daughter has always been happiest in co-ed environments, but I think we should check out all options.

St Michael's has a reputation as a caring and creative atmosphere - great theatre, art etc. Tries to produce well rounded nice children and takes pains to be seen to give back to the community. It is a prestigious school. So is Wesley, which has been around a long time and has lots of tradition. It was originally a boys' school. People always seem proud to have gone there - and it is quite sporty.

There is also Melbourne Girls Grammar in Sth Yarra which is excellent and so is Loreto Mandeville Hall in Toorak. Both are girls schools and academic. Mandeville Hall is Catholic which means the fees are cheaper.

Good luck - it's not easy - and how the schools feel to her may be the deciding factor.

My daughter is leaving her private school in the country to go to the new science school at Uni High for Year 11 - so I am doing the reverse to you! Luckily she is self motivated, but I will bear your comments in mind when that TV is on a lot next year!

So helpful to hear about St. Michael's. Thanks! And that's wonderful news about your daughter going to the Uni Science HS, Rosiew! I'm sure you don't have to worry at all about the TV. It never ceases to amaze me how different kids' needs and behaviors are. Two sets of parents will look at the same school (or teacher, or parenting style), and one will say it's wonderful and the other will say it's horrific. And, of course the truth is that they're both right. It all depends on your kid.

My daughter is pretty adamant about not going to an all-girls school, but we will tour some anyway.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Caulfield Grammar? It just crossed my radar and I'm wondering if it's the type of school that might be a good fit.

I was going to say Fintona but that is single sex. You can't fail at that school! Same applies to PLC. Wesley is good and Carey as others have said. Then there is Melbourne Grammar as well. Hope you've got plenty of dosh!!! Quite surprised about what you say about Uni High- it has a very good reputation, as does MacRob.

Quite surprised about what you say about Uni High- it has a very good reputation, as does MacRob.

I didn't mean to malign Uni High at all. We actually moved into the school district specifically because we know a number of families whose children have done fantastically well there (high achieving parents with high achieving kids). But we also knew that the school might not be the best fit for my daughter who is more creative than academic. So placing her there for the last term was a bit of an experiment. On a positive note, she made some great friends at Uni High from all different backgrounds, and also got to have a taste of a large government school environment, which is new and different for her because she went to a small private school in the US.

Archived