Pharmacists - how did you find supervised practise? Recruitment tips?

jdad84

Hi everyone,

Just submitted my application for AHPRA, possibly one of the hardest application forms ever. I wanted to confirm, did anyone request a letter from their University to be posted to AHPRA to confirm the degree was taught in English? Was this an issue when the assessing officer got back to you?

I have submitted my degree certificate, transcript (which unfortunately doesn't state taught in English) and a verification letter issues by the University to confirm my Pharmacy degree was taught in English. I have just called and they have said that the University must post a letter to AHPRA (despite the offices being closed) to confirm it was taught in English.

Kind regards,

Kiran 

Did you study in the U.K.? I’ve just sent my application in too and didn’t bother with that bit because my degree was from Scotland...now desperately hoping that’s ok! (I did send my degree certificate and transcript)

Edited by Rachelbee
Update reply

1 hour ago, Rachelbee said:

Did you study in the U.K.? I’ve just sent my application in too and didn’t bother with that bit because my degree was from Scotland...now desperately hoping that’s ok! (I did send my degree certificate and transcript)

Yes, born and raised in the UK, never lived abroad, university degree form the UK. The wording on the form suggests that proof of degree being taught in English is required (despite the university being based in England!) I did receive a letter of verification from the university confirming that the degree is taught and assessed in English however when I called the operator she stated that a posted letter directly from the university is required (the online document states that the university should send this as per template but this does not exist either).

I think it will be ok but thought I would get the ball rolling to prevent delay if its an issue later - it's not as if the post is super fast!

12 hours ago, ruthmacdonald said:

Do you mean APC for eligibility to sit the CAOP exam or have you done that already as same info required 

they request a template is used but university and work references didn’t use it. Hope that helps 

Hi Ruth,

APC is to sit the exam. After successfully completing the exam, you need to register with AHPRA (the Australian version of GPHC) and undertake supervision. I believe there is another exam after that but not as hard as the CAOP.

On 04/11/2020 at 13:21, ruthmacdonald said:

Thanks Kiran 

i have been away from working in the pharmacy for a number of years - was in head office 

what would you advise to be the best and most efficient study materials to get through the CAOP? 
thanks. Ruth 

Hi Ruth,

I used the Australian Medicines Handbook and read it over 3 weeks whilst working. If you've been out of practice for a while I would give yourself more time to go over the content at least twice. This is the most useful. You could get a second hand copy that is not too old. 

There are calculation books available however I just practiced using pre-reg questions from the UK (you should be able to google and find something).

I did have a copy of the APF, took it into the exam and used it once. I didn't really read this before going in and maybe thats why I didn't use it much. It is a good book that you may want to consider buying if you feel rusty and plan on practicing pharmacy again. I wish they had something similar in the UK.

The books are a little pricey especially if you're not intending on using them again. I actually went to different chemist in my area to see if they had a spare copy and luckily stumbled across a really nice pharmacist who lent me their old hard copy. 

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2020 at 14:27, kiranD said:

Hi Lydia,

They actually changed the format of the CAOP exam this summer, it is now 70 questions in 2 hours. I think there is a sample paper available on the APC website that may be of some use. My advice would be to become familiar with all topics in the Australian Medicines Handbook (very similar to BNF!)

I have no idea about visas- sorry. I would maybe chat to a migration agent as there are a few steps to the process (applying for AHPRA registration is a job in itself and can take weeks).

An important consideration: borders may not open for a while, maybe even 2022. How firm are your plans to migrate to Australia?

Hi Kiran

Thanks for your reply, I sat the exam and I passed so that's great news. I will get the skills assessment letter in Jan so can use that to apply for a visa. 

Ideally I want to move to Aus sometime in 2021 although I know this is very covid dependent! 

I am still very confused about the visa situation though and it seems everyone on this thread was on a partner visa so didn't have this hurdle to cross, there are many visas available for skilled pharmacists but you need to be registered with APHRA, and to register you need to work in Aus (which you need a visa for) so I don't know how to cross this barrier!!!

I think I willl just have to contact as many pharmacies as possible to try and get supervised practice so they can possibly sponsor me on a training visa.. But yes perhaps I should talk to a migration agent as even google can't seem to provide answers about this!

If anyone moved from the UK to Aus and had to get their own visa to become  a pharmacist I would be so grateful for any advice!!

Thank you 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2020 at 07:47, kiranD said:

Hi Ruth,

I used the Australian Medicines Handbook and read it over 3 weeks whilst working. If you've been out of practice for a while I would give yourself more time to go over the content at least twice. This is the most useful. You could get a second hand copy that is not too old. 

There are calculation books available however I just practiced using pre-reg questions from the UK (you should be able to google and find something).

I did have a copy of the APF, took it into the exam and used it once. I didn't really read this before going in and maybe thats why I didn't use it much. It is a good book that you may want to consider buying if you feel rusty and plan on practicing pharmacy again. I wish they had something similar in the UK.

The books are a little pricey especially if you're not intending on using them again. I actually went to different chemist in my area to see if they had a spare copy and luckily stumbled across a really nice pharmacist who lent me their old hard copy. 

Kiran, 

I am totally a newbie worrying about the CAOP exam.  So the Australian medicines handbook and Australian pharmaceutical formulary...reading them will suffice for passing the exam? How about the calculation portion? How did you prepare?  Are there any other tools to prepare?  I saw another conversation about old papers?  Do you have that too?  Thanks

Jean

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I am planning on sitting my CAOPS exam in April once the test centre reopens. I have been revising for a while now but was wondering if anyone could please send me some practise papers ( email nav_powar@hotmail.com) as there is only one on the APC website.

Does the exam have a lot of pharmokinetic questions (AUC, volume of distribution etc)? I am a community pharmacist and my pharmacokinetics knowledge is quite rusty. I have a copy of the BNF, APF and APC already.

Any advise would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Nav

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, my name is Ricky. I'm a community pharmacist currently working in the UK. I am planning to move to Australia and have applied for the CAOP exam which I'm sitting at the end of August. Please does anyone have any advice/resources to help prepare for the exam as I have found the information online very limited. Also, won't be able to get a AMH book shipped to the UK in time for the exam is anyone selling one please? or have a book I can please use for the exam? I am also looking for past papers as I have only managed to find the 1 online . Any help I would really appreciate. Many thanks, Ricky. 

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, 

I am looking for the fastest way to immigrate to Australia due to the unstable situation in the country. 

I wanted to kindly ask your advice regarding the next steps. 

I passed the CAOP exam and I just uploaded online documents for limited registration with Ahpra. This process must take up to two months. 

Hope anyone can help with the following:

1. what visa type should I apply for? skilled? sponsored?

2. How to get sponsorship?

3. Where to search for supervised practice?

4. Should I arrive in Australia on a skilled visa then seek a job or how to go around this loop?

Woul highly appreciate ay input or advice! Thank you so much in advance!

Hi, preparing to sit COAP in November, does anyone have any past questions or advice? 

Husband and I are both UK qualified and trained pharmacists with over 10 years experience each. I work in primary care as a GP practice Pharmacist and hubby is retail. We are looking to relocate to Perth with our 3 kids (8,6 4). 
Would like some 1st hand advice about how life is for a pharmacist in Australia compared to the UK? 

TIA