student visa and bringing a toddler

happychild

Hi!

I am applying for a student visa, and I am taking my spouse and my 1 year old child with me . My concern is who can look after my child when, for instance, I'm in school and my spouse is at work. I am wondering if there are affordable and reasonable options for us in relation to this. I know for a fact that a lot of people would choose to leave their young children in their homeland where they can be taken care of by other family members. However, I am not amenable to that idea at all.

I need your advice.

Thanks!

Hi!

I am applying for a student visa, and I am taking my spouse and my 1 year old child with me . My concern is who can look after my child when, for instance, I'm in school and my spouse is at work. I am wondering if there are affordable and reasonable options for us in relation to this. I know for a fact that a lot of people would choose to leave their young children in their homeland where they can be taken care of by other family members. However, I am not amenable to that idea at all.

I need your advice.

Thanks!

I am going to guess that you are not from UK, Europe or USA. Because no, most people in the western world would not choose to leave their young in the homeland, in fact this would be unheard of and unthinkable for most..

You would need to pay for child care, I think it is quite expensive but I really don't know how expensive. The student visa generally is a very expensive way to live, can you not study in your own country?

Childcare in Australia is very expensive as it must be given by a registered provider and there are strict limits on the numbers of children than can be supervised by an adult. The good news, though, is that your spouse would only be able to work 20 hours per week on a dependent visa so it might be possible for you to arrange your study around this. As Rupert says, studying in Australia, especially as an overseas nationa, is eyewateringly expensive.

I am going to guess that you are not from UK, Europe or USA. Because no, most people in the western world would not choose to leave their young in the homeland, in fact this would be unheard of and unthinkable for most..

You would need to pay for child care, I think it is quite expensive but I really don't know how expensive. The student visa generally is a very expensive way to live, can you not study in your own country?

What rupert said!

It is not normal for people from Britain (poms, as in the name of the forum) to leave their children in another country! It would be quite shocking actually to hear of a Pom who had done that.

There are child care centres. Also, depending on which student visa you are on, your partner may only be able to work 20 hours a week, so there is less time you need child care for.

Depending on which institution you're studying at they might have some sort of on-site or subsidised child care scheme for students. I'd enquire with them as to your options - even if they don't have such schemes you might be able to fit your study patterns around your spouses work.

Eg http://sydney.edu.au/stuserv/child_care/about.shtml

Good luck

Archived