6 Month Rentals - Melbourne.

Mark 1234

Okay, so here's the plan. I have PR, the wife's Aussie. We are going to spend the next four European winters in Melbourne (October - end of March). What are the chances of finding a fixed base for these 6-months over the next four years. We would need partially/fully furnished, one-bedroom or studio, and to smooth the way we could probably pay the full 6-months rent in advance. Preferably Northern suburbs (Thornbury, Northcote, Merri etc). Looking between $1000 - $1300 per month. The fifth year would probably be a 12-month rental as I want to apply for citizenship.

The problem is that I don't want to spend every year hunting down new places, buying, then selling furniture appliances etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mark sorry no-one is answering, however that is because most people are permanent movers and therefore not using the same type of property. I think you would have to get a holiday let to cover what you need. Probably moving around each time you come over. Why not buy a house and rent it for six months and live in it for six.

You will find your budget is going to be your first hurdle.

Something half decent furnished including the peak period is going to cost (I would guestimate) at least $350.00 per week. also, a property owner can never guarantee 3-4 years up front, because of the circumstances of the property owner can change. (they might guarantee it verbally to lock you in initially of course)

I think the suggestion Petals makes, buy and rent out is maybe a good option. Firstly it will be a return on your investment if rented out, but also gives you a foot on the property ladder over here, and anything bought now is guaranteed worth more in 5 years time if you want to sell up and move on.

Cant help you with rental but watch how long you are out for your citizenship. You have to spend 4 years in Australia the last year must be as PR and you cant be out for more than a year total in that time - I know as I done it and having to wait longer for my citizenship.

Thanks for the honest replies.

Yes, the citizenship would have to come with the resident return visa. As for buying a property, I have one in Europe and really don't want the burden of an Aussie mortgage. Thanks again, looks like it'll become an annual hunt :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived