Car/Caravan Insurance for Tourists?

nicolac34

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any insurance companies that will insure tourists on their own car and caravan? By that I mean that they will be purchasing them here, but won't have a WA drivers licence and will only be on a tourist visa.

I assume is can be done with the amount of backpackers buying campers and travelling for a year.

My parents arrive on Monday and are awaiting their parent visa which hasn't been granted yet, but they plan to go travelling for 6-8 months and will need a car and caravan to do this.

Thanks for any help!

How about insuring in your name and putting them down as named drivers?

Why not just ask your car insurer?

My brother suggested that, I just thought if they had an accident somewhere else it would be fairly obvious that they were travelling and I wasn't the main driver, I don't know if insurance companies are that savvy, but not sure I'd want to risk it really.

Try RAC. They were by far the cheapest when I insured my car recently. That was including the on-line ones like youi too. They actually had people who knew what you were talking about, asked me questions about how often other people, like my 24 year old son, would be driving my car and came back with a very good price. I had insured with youi for a month to get covered quickly and they had someone on the end of the phone who was obviously going through a checklist she was reading from. Didn't sound like she knew anything about the business or insurance really. When I rang to cancel the contract after a month they offered me a cheaper price!!

They could have done that in the first place. Still wasn't as cheap as RAC and you can pay a little bit extra and get the roadside coverage. That would be well worth having for an older couple travelling.

My brother suggested that, I just thought if they had an accident somewhere else it would be fairly obvious that they were travelling and I wasn't the main driver, I don't know if insurance companies are that savvy, but not sure I'd want to risk it really.

Yes they may have to be residents too, but it does not matter who does the most driving, my wife's car insurance has me as a named driver, she does the most trips, but I do the most miles. Just ask your insurer giving the true details and see what they say. Your parents could also ask their UK travel insurer and or car insurer.

Good luck

Archived