Week to go 😊

wbf

Hi all , I fly to melbourne on a whv next week.. I'm going to be travelling on my own which I am quite nervous about Just wondering if it is a normal thing to go on ur own? I am excited to meet new people an go to new places..

also I don't know what bank account to open an how to transfer my money over.. Any info would be greatly appreciated ☺️☺️

Reckon you will love it ..

if you haven't already take a look at the WHV threads....plenty of good tips on there..

Also the Pom Queen is very good at posting any backpacker type jobs that are advertised so keep an eye out for them too.

Its very easy to open a bank account prior to coming....which one is up to you, but I know NAB have their own sub heading on here if you want to post to them I'm sure they will guide you...but whatever bank you use its a pretty simple process.

Once an account is opened you might decide to use a money transfer company.....again all info can be found on here..

Hi! I fly to perth a week on Wednesday! So exciting! I've already opened my account with NAB they don't charge and they have a lot of ATMS I've been told :) dead easy to set up and transfer to before you go, I've already got the internet banking app on my phone and an appointment to pick debit cards etc when we arrive :D

Perth is hotting up nicely....so no worries with the weather...

Where are you staying?....what's your plans?..

Ooh! So excited, I'm going with my partner and we are staying with my brother over Christmas and new year not got many plans yet other than driving up to Exmouth and back over an 11 day road trip stopping at Geraldton, Canarvon, Exmouth, coral bay,Denham, and Kalbarri which should be fun! Then we fly to Sydney in early January where we will start looking for work! And yourself?

Ooh! So excited, I'm going with my partner and we are staying with my brother over Christmas and new year not got many plans yet other than driving up to Exmouth and back over an 11 day road trip stopping at Geraldton, Canarvon, Exmouth, coral bay,Denham, and Kalbarri which should be fun! Then we fly to Sydney in early January where we will start looking for work! And yourself?

Haha we've just done that road trip...although me never got as far as coral bay and Exmouth ...booked in at Monkey Mia and it was so good we stayed 3 nights instead of one...but we are lucky we live here so can do Exmouth in the future...not until after March though...too hot for camping.

only my thoughts but miss out Geraldton (weird place) but stick Dongara on your list, its a real friendly fun place..

Hi all , I fly to melbourne on a whv next week.. I'm going to be travelling on my own which I am quite nervous about Just wondering if it is a normal thing to go on ur own? I am excited to meet new people an go to new places..

also I don't know what bank account to open an how to transfer my money over.. Any info would be greatly appreciated ☺️☺️

You'll be fine! It's a great experience going on your own, you're free to do whatever you want! And you'll meet tonnes of friends, the ones I met are already talking about planning a reunion in europe some time next year! I met lots of people on their own, but also lots of people in like pairs, so don't be frightened!

Banking I went with NAB, cos I could set it up from the UK and it was free. But since you're going in a week you don't really have time to sort it out. I think the other banks might charge monthly frees, but not too much. I had no problems with NAB and they were good when my card got stolen. Can't comment on the other banks though!

Thanks will do :).. Also does anybody know what's best to do about a phone? Like I'm looking on buying a new one before I go but don't know what network or anything to get it on .. I know I will hav to get a sim out in oz but will these sims fit into any network?...

Make sure you buy a factory unlocked phone here in the UK, then you can try different sims (networks) to see which is best. I hear Vodafone are pretty good, but that's just what I've seen people say on the forums, do a search on here for mobile networks, they're plenty of threads on it.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks will do :).. Also does anybody know what's best to do about a phone? Like I'm looking on buying a new one before I go but don't know what network or anything to get it on .. I know I will hav to get a sim out in oz but will these sims fit into any network?...

Don't go with vodaphone or 3, signal is terrible. Look at one that uses the Optus or Telstra network. So either direct with them or someone like Virgin

For phones, Something with internet access/apps is handy I find as I've used my iPhone daily for maps, hotel booking etc. also, FaceTime/Skype for free when connected to wi-fi and using the FaceBook app for free on my Optus sim as below, I can message home for free. As said, make sure your phone is unlocked whatever type it is or it will be useless. What are you using now, maybe just have that unlocked?

If you want to stay in touch with home on the cheap Optus do a sim for $30/mth with free Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter etc via the apps, free Aus texts, 200+ Aus mins and 500mb of data, you can add 1gb of data for $10. (You need to keep a tiny bit of data back to log into Facebook/twitter etc if it logs you out) They have stores everywhere.

If you just want something for emergencies and don't intended to make many calls or social networking/net, then virgin I think we found to be the best based on credit rolling over (doesn't run out if you don't use it like others)

Finally, think about where you'll be. The above networks are fine in populated places but if you're planning on being really in the middle of nowhere a lot I think it's Telstra you need?? Very pricy comparatively if not though for most tariffs.

For the banks we both went with Commonwealth, applied at home and our cards were waiting a week later, really easy. We chose them as apparently all 7-11's ATMs are with them but haven't really noticed as yet. They do offer a good rate on savings though and no charge for a year so seem ok.

Mines for when I start work, I'm still using my home bank card now as I don't get charged for overseas transactions, check what your charges are as it's worked well for me as am benefitting from the exchange rate now whereas OH moved all his funds over at a lower rate. He got a good deal at the time though by ringing round and he had no probs whatsoever with the process, just have a little cash in case you feel too jet lagged to collect your card straight away!

You're coming at the best time, exchange rate is the best it's been in ages!! all the best!! :biggrin:

Archived