how do i get a bank account in oz if i`m a discharged bankrupt from the uk?

Guest lea

Hi..........

Does anyone know how i would go about getting a bank account in oz if i am a discharged bankrupt? I have heard alot about people setting up accounts whilst still in the uk, i don`t think i would be able to do this as surely they would check my credit history. Would i have to wait until i am over there, what oz banks are not associated with uk banks or would this not be a problem....... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh please advise!!!!:goofy:

Guest MikeCormack

Hi Lea

Being bankrupt wont stop you being ale to open a bank account, unless you are asking for credit (credit card, loan, overdraft etc). Even if you have been bankrupt in Aus. Chellem is also correct, your UK credit file is not checked either once you are here.

Guest dwaldron

The bank account that you are opening in the UK is a basic bank account with no credit facility. As others have pointed out, a credit check will not be undertaken. It is just like one of the basic bank accounts that you have in the UK but it has more functionality in Australia than a basic bank account in the UK has.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SIDLOWE

Hi There,

you can open an account in Oz within 6 weeks of arriving with just your passport & temporary address. However, I think it would be better to do this when you have a job.

They do not have access to your UK Credit history.

Do not go to Bank West or HSBC as UK owned. Stick to commonwealth or Westpac...

Thanks

Emma

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nics26

just a quick note to say my OH is declared bankrupt and has just opened a HSBC account in UK about 4 months ago without a problem, he just can't pay in obscene amounts LOL x

Archived