What happens at an open inspection for a rental apartment?

LadyCroft

We are at the stage where we have been looking around a few suburbs and want to arrange viewings to actually apply to rent a house. We have been told there property is usually open for inspection for a 15 minute slot where all interested parties come to the house and ask questions or look around and decide if they would like to apply to rent the place.

What do we do? Do we just turn up with our passports or drivers license for Photo ID and if we like the place we kind of make an offer to rent it or do we need to have application forms completed on the day of inspection? Total newbie to this. The last time we were here years ago we just went to the estate agents and asked them to find us a place. This time we are looking around a lot so help please! :notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen

Firstly look at the house prior if its available now it usually means its empty so peak through the windows. If its a property you really really want download the application form from the agents website, get photocopies of passports, driving license, employment contract, bank balances and I'd recommend a quick letter explaining a little about yourself. If you then go to the OFI you turn up with other interested parties and just walk around yourself. If you like it the agents usually then hand out application forms but if you have yours already done they will be impressed and sometimes its first in best dressed. I think if you are submitting an application in WA you have to put a small amount down. This isn't the case on the East coast and you can apply for as many properties as you like.

Good luck

I don't know your location...but here, if you view a rental and wish to apply, you fill out an application form, then the landlord decides who the successful applicant will be.

It might be an idea to mention where you are looking...in case these practices differ from place to place.

Well, it's pretty much like you describe. The current occupier vacates the place for an hour, and complete strangers waltz through. Some are just hobbyist tyre kickers, and others really are looking for somewhere to live.

If you're interested, you take a form and fill it out and bring it back to the agent. The form will probably want a few photocopies of bank statements and job contracts. Then they keep you hanging around for a few days then let you know.

Depending how tight the market is where you are, you may consider offering little tidbits like paying 2 months in advance.

The best part is that when you move out, you have to vacate your home for an hour every Saturday morning to let complete strangers waltz through........

They normally give out application forms at the home open. I suppose if you found something you really liked you could drop into the estate agent in anticipation and pick one up and have it completed to hand in at the viewing. You shouldn't need photo ID with you I wouldn't have thought

I've been to more opens where the current occupants are there than not there. One of them we couldn't see the main bedroom and en suite as they were sleeping!

We get the keys to our new rental tomorrow. :-)

We had two lots of agents phone for references and then were not offered the house (the second one nobody was, they were 'deciding what to to with it'). The one we actually got didn't even contact references, but we'd had a good old chat with the agent though. Some are not that chatty, or even rude.

Here in SA most of the application forms have some clause in them that putting in the application is binding on your part. Some say you have to pay advertising costs if offered the house and you refuse. It is a real pain as if you haven't got the house they don't even bother with a text to tell you. So you end up potentially tied to numerous houses.

I've been to more opens where the current occupants are there than not there. One of them we couldn't see the main bedroom and en suite as they were sleeping!

We get the keys to our new rental tomorrow. :-)

We had two lots of agents phone for references and then were not offered the house (the second one nobody was, they were 'deciding what to to with it'). The one we actually got didn't even contact references, but we'd had a good old chat with the agent though. Some are not that chatty, or even rude.

Here in SA most of the application forms have some clause in them that putting in the application is binding on your part. Some say you have to pay advertising costs if offered the house and you refuse. It is a real pain as if you haven't got the house they don't even bother with a text to tell you. So you end up potentially tied to numerous houses.

Thanks. Feeling a bit more clued up now.

We're in Victoria and looking at Seaford, Mordialloc and Berwick amongst others. Just trying to keep options open. It's so hard!

Anyone know if any problem with applying for two in Victoria? We going viewing on saturday there are only two nice houses in the suburb we looking at so have prefilled all the applications and plan on handing both in. Agent said they had 25 people regoster to see one of them so looking like may be competitive

Anyone know if any problem with applying for two in Victoria? We going viewing on saturday there are only two nice houses in the suburb we looking at so have prefilled all the applications and plan on handing both in. Agent said they had 25 people regoster to see one of them so looking like may be competitive

It will say on the application you sign if they are trying to tie you in in any way. The ones here I've noticed say 'if offered.....' So the way I figured it was if we applied for more than one, and were offered one, we just email the other 'withdrawing' our application before they get a chance to offer it to you.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks. Feeling a bit more clued up now.

We're in Victoria and looking at Seaford, Mordialloc and Berwick amongst others. Just trying to keep options open. It's so hard!

I was an agent in Vic so there are no clauses there so get them applications submitted, good luck

Guest The Pom Queen
It will say on the application you sign if they are trying to tie you in in any way. The ones here I've noticed say 'if offered.....' So the way I figured it was if we applied for more than one, and were offered one, we just email the other 'withdrawing' our application before they get a chance to offer it to you.

You can submit as many applications as you want down there. IF they offer you the house you then have to go in and sign contracts and leave a bond etc, it then becomes binding

I would suggest that if you are looking for property then get all your ID documents and references copied. you can then make up a few application packs to give to the estate agent. It look like you are efficient and organised. If they want to view the origional documents you can take those if for inspection at a later date.

You can submit as many applications as you want down there. IF they offer you the house you then have to go in and sign contracts and leave a bond etc, it then becomes binding

According to some (not all) of the applications I've been filling out here in SA, if they offer you the house, but you refuse before going in and signing the lease, you are liable for re-advertising costs.

I even said to one of them that surely this means you can only apply to one house at a time and might have to wait a week to hear from each one. They said yep, that's right....

Archived