New friends wanted for our 10year old daughter and 8year old son

ceyclaire

Hi

we are new to the North Lakes area and our two children are desperate to find new friends to play with after school and weekends. They started Bounty Boulevard state school last week so hopefully friends will start to come about, but in the meantime, they are totally lost after school,and weekends.

They are used to playing out with groups of friends but don't seem to see any kids around the area playing out. We take them to the park each night to try and make friends but hardly no kids there either.

please advise if anyone can help.

Thanx

claire

Kids don't play out like they used to , especially after that young boy was abducted and murdered in Q'land.

Is that so? And can you back up that claim with any evidence, or is it a product of reading the Daily Mail for too long?

If kids don't play out so much it's because of distractions from electronic games, heaps of extra-curricular activities and the layout of modern housing estates.

Anyway, to the OP, I'm pretty sure school will get your kids integrated quite soon. NL schools have an average of 1 new kid per class per term, so they're pretty used to new people turning up. Might I recommend Settlement Cove as an afternoons' outing?

There is a really great Infinity Martial Arts club in Northlakes - I know the people who run it and they are great. Next year they can join Nippers Surf Life Saving at Redcliffe. In the meantime be proactive and ask kids from school or families to come round for a beer and curry - you need to make the first move sometimes.

Daniel Morcombe was a real kid and the whole incident was shocking, Xenon. It was very scary at the time. And no, I don't read the Daily Mail in fact I never have- I don't live in the UK and left when I was very young so can't even remember the paper and whether it was around when I was young. Is Xenon short for Xenophobia- just wondering? My children used to play out of course as they all did in those days but my grandchildren just go by appointment and play dates to friend's houses. They are all that way here. They don't play computer games much at all- probably that is a British phenomenon because of the bad weather there.

Daniel Morcombe was a real kid and the whole incident was shocking, Xenon. It was very scary at the time. And no, I don't read the Daily Mail in fact I never have- I don't live in the UK and left when I was very young so can't even remember the paper and whether it was around when I was young. Is Xenon short for Xenophobia- just wondering? My children used to play out of course as they all did in those days but my grandchildren just go by appointment and play dates to friend's houses. They are all that way here. They don't play computer games much at all- probably that is a British phenomenon because of the bad weather there.

You're supposed to enclose that in [PatronisingLecture][/PatronisingLecture] tags.

Yes, a child murder is tragic, but it doesn't explain why the OP was having trouble finding playmates for her kids. People in North Lakes are not cowering behind the net curtains clutching their children in fear. And, of course, you still didn't produce any evidence. Neither do the Daily Mail, which explains me reference to it.

Xenophobia is the fear of strangers and foreigners. What have I written that could possibly be construed as xenophobic?

Ironically, the Daily Mail and other tabloids exploit and stoke other peoples' xenophobia not because they think they're doing a community service but because it sells copy.

As a guardian, you're are at will to ferry your kids exclusively to pre-assigned playdates if you wish. That might be the norm where you live in Melbourne. But here in Queensland, it's quite common for kids to mix with each other at playgrounds. Actually, that's one of the reasons to come here.

Back to the OP, another nice spot to check out (also on the Redcliffe pen) is Woody Point. There a nice chip shop under the high rise, and a renovated play area with flying fox, climbing pyramid etc. And obviously the shoreline too.

Hi

we are new to the North Lakes area and our two children are desperate to find new friends to play with after school and weekends. They started Bounty Boulevard state school last week so hopefully friends will start to come about, but in the meantime, they are totally lost after school,and weekends.

They are used to playing out with groups of friends but don't seem to see any kids around the area playing out. We take them to the park each night to try and make friends but hardly no kids there either.

please advise if anyone can help.

Thanx

claire

Hi Claire

It's probably a bit hot for the kids to play out at the moment. Around our area the kids play out alot in spring, autumn and winter but in the summer they tend to stay indoors as it is just too hot. Spring has been very hot this year so this could explain the lack of kids outside. In summer, our kids only usually go out around 5.30pm for the last hour and a half of daylight when it is cool enough to run around.

I think Australia is on a par with the UK for kids' obsession with electronic games.

There are lots of sports clubs for kids to join which are good places to make friends. Also, if you are not working, you could volunteer at school (tuck shop, reading etc) and meet other mums (and their kids) that way.

All the best. It does take some time for kids to find their feet. At least they have each other!

Cheers

Thanx for all this info I appreciate it. I will continue to take kids up to the park and hopefully they will start to meet kids. Also Redcliffe sounds gud, we've been a couple of times already..I've enquired about clubs so just waiting to get them in 1. Cheers!!

Archived