Mother considering emigrating

Gary Smith

Hey Guys

First off howyagoin !!! Ive never really posted much in poms, although i was very active on Britvics forum at one point ( gary'n'wendy ) . We emigrated out to Melbourne 2007,still here and enjoying life.

Ok,unfortunetly my father died last year,which leaves mum,apart from a few close friends,pretty much alone in Scotland as I am her only child.It therefore probably doesnt come as a suprise to you that were looking in to bringing her out here.

I'm sure some of you have maybe done this with a surviving parent,so any advice would be appreciated.

If anyone does have some info,Ive got some questions. . . . . .

1) British state pension,does it continue for those overseas

2) Type of visa ,and potential processing times ?

3) I believe there is a buy in to Medicare ?

4) Can she be here on an extended visa while emigration visa is being processed ?

Much obliged for any help.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Having just applied as a parent going out as my kids are out in Oz I have got a couple of answers. This is just based on personal experience, and the research I have done so there is probably others with more detailed knowledge, however this is you 'starter for 10'.

Your mum will still be entitled to the British State Pension, however it will be 'frozen' at the amount she is in receipt of when she moves out. There may be discussions to make it indexed link but wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

The best visa is the Contributory Parent Visa (143). This is quite expensive, at about £30,000, I think - you can find out the rate from the Aussie immigration website. There is also a bond of about 10000AUD which is held for 10 years, but you do get it back. The turn around time is abut 14 months (my application has just been accepted and that is what I am expecting). There is the Aged Parent Visa, but that is about a 15 year (literally) wait.

I think the visa fee helps buy into Medicare.

Not sure about the extended visa, but I think she can. You can also get a 143 Temporary Visa, which I gives you time to spread the cost (about 2 years).

If you want any more information on this, based on my (fresh) knowledge, such as agents, form filling etc) please feel free to drop me a PM.

Hope this helps a bit anyway.

cheers

Chris

We brought my Dad out. He was on the british pension and also a work pension. He had to take out quite expensive insurance as a proviso on his visa- at that time ( 2003-2007) it was over $3000 per annum. He had to buy his way in in the sense that he had to have a certain amount of cash behind him- at that time around half a million dollars. There is a visa for the last surviving family member but there is a queue and we thought that was too long for us. It took us about 9 months to get him out here. The British pension does not increase once you are over here but the Australian pension kicks in if you get permanent residence. My Dad had to renew his visa every couple of years and it was stressful for him but I think the rules are a bit different now. It ain't easy.

Does your mum want to go would be my first question. Leaving the social network you have built up over a lifetime to move to possible isolation on the other side of the world can be quite an expensive challenge. I'm assuming you'd be looking at the CPV rather than the 15 year wait one. The CPV is relatively quick and maybe she could do a 6 month tourist visa to see if she likes it first.

She'd get Medicare as part of the deal but she might also want to buy in to private health insurance as a new arrival on the bargain basement rate rather than being penalized for age - might help with some of the elective stuff like hips and knees for example.

My parents did the 6/6 thing for 16 years and that worked well for them but they decided their lives were better supported in old age in UK and they had their lives and friends there. We've come back to care for them in their own home (only child here too!) and that's working well too - possible alternative!

Archived