BeckyFacer

Hi There,

I am new to this forum. I recently submitted my PMV end of August. Feeling quite anxious as I feel my life is on hold and can't plan anything until I know. Me and my partner got re-united last year when he came over for work. We knew it would be difficult but were prepared to be together in the end. Its been alot tougher than I could imagine. We have been lucky we have seen each other four times this year and he is visiting me for Xmas. I am a little disappointed I instructed a Migration agency as I did not want any delays or problems in my application. However I am not too confident in them, after the Case officer requested info which should have been submitted with the application. Strange when they had such great reviews.. I could have save myself £1,000 and done it myself. Fingers crossed my visa is processed soon. I am hoping so it is straight forward enough. Ive never been married and have no children. Hope to chat to some like minded people, who are going through the same stressful process.

Thank you Tooldolou.. How far are you in the process...? I have family in Adelaide which is where my boyfriend lives.. so lucky I have that.. I work as a Probation Service Officer I had looked into skilled visa but this is on the second list and not sponsored which is disappointing. Can't wait to be with my boyfriend making our plans to get married.. I have made contacts with the correctional services and other organisations all have been very welcoming so from their response I am confident I will find employment. So anxious sitting here in my house want my life to begin now..

i have been looking into moving to oz for few years , however have only just got my butt in gear to start sorting things out . i have gathered all my documents (this can take longer than expected) , did my IELTs last month, got docs certified today at court , will send of my docs to nursing assessment board ( can take 16 weeks) then if all okayd will be able to put in EOI. Luckily my profession always seems to be in demand so im quietly confident it will all go to plan . It must be hard living the other side of the world from your other half . are you planning to stay in adelaide? i absolutely loved adelaide ... it immediately felt like home to me. i didnt want to leave! how long do you think it will take you to sort out your visa and move? we are hoping to be over in oz by july 14 . everyone is very helpful on this forum so ask away if you have questions ... theres usually someone lurking about who knows the answer! ..... or failing that knows someone else who does!

Thank you for you responses. I hope the wait for my visa is here soon.

I am wondering if there is a thread to discuss preparing to move to Australia..

My only concern I have is my house. My partner is British and emigrated to Australia 23 years ago so we are not emigrating together so it is quite difficult to decide what to do regarding my house. Ive only been here a year, I am thinking the best option is to sell as if I rent the house could get damage giving more stress and cost. I don't intend to come back to the UK so I would just be preventing the inevitable.

Is anyone in the same situation, as we know it is frustrating as we can't plan what to do because we have no idea when the visa will be approved. Would be great to know other peoples thoughts... Appreciated.

Thank you for you responses. I hope the wait for my visa is here soon.

I am wondering if there is a thread to discuss preparing to move to Australia..

My only concern I have is my house. My partner is British and emigrated to Australia 23 years ago so we are not emigrating together so it is quite difficult to decide what to do regarding my house. Ive only been here a year, I am thinking the best option is to sell as if I rent the house could get damage giving more stress and cost. I don't intend to come back to the UK so I would just be preventing the inevitable.

Is anyone in the same situation, as we know it is frustrating as we can't plan what to do because we have no idea when the visa will be approved. Would be great to know other peoples thoughts... Appreciated.

Hi BeckyFacer,

I know just how awful and anxious the feeling of waiting is! I feel a bit like I am doing time lol. I'm in a similar situation to you, my fiance moved back to Oz in May.Just after we submitted my PMV at end of April, and now anxiously waiting for my grant, fingers crossed it will arrive soon, although I am going for Christmas anyway and will have left my job by then. I am hoping on a 8-9 month grant, and making the assumption it will be granted as don't see why it wouldn't be approved. You could always go there on a holiday visa and wait for grant date, it seems many people do (I couldn't as my notice period at work is horrendous)

I have a house here too and have rented it out recently and moved back with my parents for a spell as I was worried about teething problems. I would rather things went wrong while I was here, but so far so good (I am sure it will all go wrong the day I leave :frown:) I too am anxious about issues arising with renting it out whilst in Oz, but I felt that many people do it successfully and its nice to know we have a place here should we ever decide to return!

Well good luck with it all, and I'm sure the time will go by quicker the closer it gets!

:biggrin:

Hi Snufkin,

Thank you for your reply.. Yes the waiting is just awful!! I don't have much support here really. I have family in Adelaide and met my boyfriend last year purely coincidently it is bizarre that of all the places he lives in Adelaide and near my family cousins and Auntie. It makes it more difficult because my parents dont want me to go so are no support. The friends I had are no longer around.. So everything I need and want is in Adelaide. I have been over twice this year, so really cant afford to go again still paying off the last trip.

My partners parents live in Birmingham nearby and have always said they will have, which is really lovely of them. I am trying to keep myself busy as the more I think about it the more I get upset. Its awful not knowing, there is no reason why my visa shouldnt be approved but like most we just worry. I am 35 never married no children and work as a Probation Service Officer for Crown Court. So my application should be very straight forward. Though I have noticed application which were lodged end of August seem to be waiting longer, possibly because of the fee increase so more people were applying and new finnacial year for Aus.

I am sure your grant will come very soon.. Wishing you all the best xx

Becky - the PMV currently has an 8-9 month timeframe given for grant from application. I'd work and plan to that and not fret or think about it overly anymore. Then if it is granted a bit sooner it's a bonus. Honestly, sitting wishing the days away doesn't help. Just get on and live life, plan for the timeframe and it'll pass fine.

If you've submitted the things your CO requested and they've not asked for further info then that's a good sign.

Long distance is hard, no mistake but it's not that long in the grand scheme of things. You sound like you've had plenty of visits and time together and another one planned for Christmas. It'll soon pass.

Re your house, as I said, work to the 8-9 months. It really is the common sense thing to do.

If you want to sell your house I'd consider talking to some estate agents now and putting it on the market. Then be prepared to stay with family/friends or a rental for a few months if it sells quickly. House selling is an unknown and it could be snapped up, could take a while.

Thank you for your positive words.. I am trying to do those things. I have been fortunate to see my partner 3 times this year. Recently he was working in Norway so took the opportunity to see him a few weeks ago. I did tell the mirgration company about this as I thought it would be good as more evidence. They said they would mention it and that he is visiting me for Xmas. Though I am not overly confident they have. I don't particulary rate them at the moment. I think because my application is so straight forward, they haven't bothered much and are concentrating on more complicated applications.. I have been looking into selling my house I am thinking of putting it on the market in January. I think if it came to it and my visa came and I did not want to be waiting around then I would rent. My job will be doing down hill next year so just as well my new can begin in Adelaide.. Thank you..

You are applying for a PMV not a partner visa, so the evidence requirements are not as much. If you supplied what they listed and asked for then don't fret overly.

You must be excited your grant can't be far away and visiting at xmas... April seems like ages ago.. I have seen a really cheap flight to Australia £500, I was going to book it for the selected dates in March but after speaking to my partner he knows why I am eager to see him again but I should probably be patient and wait. Hopefully I may get my Visa March if not April.. Not too sure about my house though will get things underway in January. If it comes to it then I will rent like you.. Hopefully you may get your visa before Xmas. Which part of Australia will you be living?

Take 2 of my response......

Hi there,

I am terribly excited, its been 10 weeks since I seen him, and although not that long its just starting to really hurt, and I can't wait to get there. I feel like a kid again waiting for my christmas present which I know is coming but still want it now lol! I will be heading to a really remote town in Kimberley in WA a bit different from where most people head but one of our reasons for going to Oz was to try something different. My OH is settled in and loving living there, just moved into a newly built house which I am excited to see.

I found the first few months after applying flew by with finishing off decorating my house, renting it out and then spending a month in oz. And now I have less than 7 weeks before I leave....I know my visa may not arrive before then, but I am going even if it hasn't. I have loads of packing and sorting to do but one thing I have found myself doing is spending time thinking about all the places and people I will miss and visiting them, and going for long walks with my dog - who I am leaving behind...he wouldn't like the 40 degree heat and quarantine!

My parents are apprehensive about me moving, mainly because they don't like flying even a few hours, let alone 24, but I hope to be able to return every other year and they have been supportive because they know better than to try and stop someone doing what they want with their life. I do worry about their health as my mum is in remission for lymphoma which often returns, and I am grateful she is well now as that would make it much harder for me to leave.

I am sure the time will fly by and at least you will have family near you to support your move when you get there. I haven't heard of anyone not being granted the PMV so wouldn't worry about it not being granted just look forward to your new life, and make the most of the last few months here...its amazing how much you take for granted. I know I am going to miss the green and lush countryside and even being cold and able to snuggle up in front a fire!

Sorry if its a bit rambling! x

• 1 month later...

Archived