Working holiday visa in Perth starting December 2013!

melthemelon

Hi Everyone

I'm a single, 25 year old female- I arrive in Perth at the beginning of December on a whv and have a few questions...!

-How easy is it to pick up work? I have a marketing degree and PR/marketing background with a ton of office experience, so ideally I'd be looking to pick up similar work. Otherwise Ive been a bar manager, waitress, shop assistant, kitchen assistant... pretty much anything hospitality! So happy to do that too in the short term. My questions is, will I find work fairly quickly if I put in the usual hard work and procativity? would love to hear about anyones experiences!

-On a similar note, I have an STCW95 (basic sea-fearing qualification) and a little experience stewardessing on yachts... does anyone know if there is any likelyhood of picking up work on boats? Be that tourist boats, dive boats, anything really...

-How long should I book my first hostel for.. is two weeks about right? I'd be keen to get into a house/flat share pretty soon...

- Can anyone reccomend a great hostel that helps you find work (i.e job boards and good contacts) and is NOT a party hostel? (I backpacked Austrlia when I was 18, so its a case of been there done that, now I'm feeling old and prefer to have active days and chilled out nights), but also not expensive? do share your experiences.

-Finally, which neighbourhoods do you reccomend for a flat/house share? If I can afford it I'd love to be near the beach! I hear Freemantle and Subiaco are nice, any thoughts?

Thankyou so much for any help, I'm super keen to hear from anyone doing the WHV in Perth :)

Firstly, you might be better off posting in the backpacking WHV section.

It would be hard to get into a marketing role while on a WHV as you can only work for 1 employer for 6 months, so companies tend not to bother for more proffessional roles, though no harm in trying.

Captain Cook Cruises run boats on the river and around Mandurah so worth trying.

2 weeks should be plenty to get a house share - check out gumtree

Hi Everyone

I'm a single, 25 year old female- I arrive in Perth at the beginning of December on a whv and have a few questions...!

-How easy is it to pick up work? I have a marketing degree and PR/marketing background with a ton of office experience, so ideally I'd be looking to pick up similar work. Otherwise Ive been a bar manager, waitress, shop assistant, kitchen assistant... pretty much anything hospitality! So happy to do that too in the short term. My questions is, will I find work fairly quickly if I put in the usual hard work and procativity? would love to hear about anyones experiences!

-On a similar note, I have an STCW95 (basic sea-fearing qualification) and a little experience stewardessing on yachts... does anyone know if there is any likelyhood of picking up work on boats? Be that tourist boats, dive boats, anything really...

-How long should I book my first hostel for.. is two weeks about right? I'd be keen to get into a house/flat share pretty soon...

- Can anyone reccomend a great hostel that helps you find work (i.e job boards and good contacts) and is NOT a party hostel? (I backpacked Austrlia when I was 18, so its a case of been there done that, now I'm feeling old and prefer to have active days and chilled out nights), but also not expensive? do share your experiences.

-Finally, which neighbourhoods do you reccomend for a flat/house share? If I can afford it I'd love to be near the beach! I hear Freemantle and Subiaco are nice, any thoughts?

Thankyou so much for any help, I'm super keen to hear from anyone doing the WHV in Perth :)

Don't book a hostel that long. I went to Perth in Dec 09 and was sick of my hostel within a day and wanted to move and found a great one. Book one for a couple of days and then see where you want to be

Thanks for the advice!

So you think I could be in a houseshare after a week? Thats good!

The only thing that puts me off is that by mid-December its high season right? So I dont want to wind up somewhere awful just because I only booked a week. But if you think I can find a decent house share in a week, I'll go for it...

Archived