What is Sydney's 'nicest' main road? Parra Rd, Woodville Rd, Hume, GWH?

MARYROSE02

Dave the idiot has been driving from Surry Hills to Penrith this week, with one of my most pleasurable (not) drives today, to Bankstown first via Parra Road, Liverpool Road/Hume Highway, then on to Penrith via Hume Highway, right at 'Meccano' interchange onto Woodville Road, then (stupidly) not left onto the Western Motorway, but via the Great Western Highway, all in searing heat, until I relented and closed the window and put my aircon on full-blast.

If I had to drive from Surry Hills to Penrith, I'd be doing as much of it on freeways as possible. Sod the expense of any tolls.

So Western Distributor, City West Link, that small bit of Parramatta road, then the M4.

That sounds too good to be true! I've done it in reverse, turning left off the motorway just before it hits Parra Road (left at Concord Rd?) then right and through Five Dock, but I've not tried it going TO Penrith. Today, I went back to the train, much more relaxing!

Pacific Hwy...

North, that is.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

NOT the stretch between Chatswood and Hornsby though! (Strange how each of the main highways seems to have nasty bits. You have to endure Parra Road to Concord, 40 odd sets of lights, ALWAYS at red, before the M4. You have this marvellous freeway to Chatswood, but then an infuriating crawl till you get to the F3. The M5 tunnel is nearly always stuffed up (but WHY is it only going out of the city? I've never suffered a delay coming into the city - not talking about the 'rush hour' either.

One day, I will venture north of Gympie (the furthest I've been so far.)

NOT the stretch between Chatswood and Hornsby though! (Strange how each of the main highways seems to have nasty bits. You have to endure Parra Road to Concord, 40 odd sets of lights, ALWAYS at red, before the M4. You have this marvellous freeway to Chatswood, but then an infuriating crawl till you get to the F3. The M5 tunnel is nearly always stuffed up (but WHY is it only going out of the city? I've never suffered a delay coming into the city - not talking about the 'rush hour' either.

One day, I will venture north of Gympie (the furthest I've been so far.)

Have a go, ya mug!

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dave the idiot has been driving from Surry Hills to Penrith this week, with one of my most pleasurable (not) drives today, to Bankstown first via Parra Road, Liverpool Road/Hume Highway, then on to Penrith via Hume Highway, right at 'Meccano' interchange onto Woodville Road, then (stupidly) not left onto the Western Motorway, but via the Great Western Highway, all in searing heat, until I relented and closed the window and put my aircon on full-blast.

Its all particularly vile until you get out of the Sydney Metropolitan area :-S !!

I had forgotten Pennant Hills Road until last week!

Rather than forgotten, I hope your brain had edited it out as a bad dream

Dreadful road. Try cycling on it! (never again)

Bring on the F3-M2 link, can't happen soon enough. Comes with the added bonus of p1ssing off the local NIMBYs, of whom there are hundreds

Rather than forgotten, I hope your brain had edited it out as a bad dream

Dreadful road. Try cycling on it! (never again)

Bring on the F3-M2 link, can't happen soon enough. Comes with the added bonus of p1ssing off the local NIMBYs, of whom there are hundreds

My friend Tony owns a cycle shop on Pennant Hills Road, Thornleigh. That's why I was up there, but walking on the pavement even, is frightening, with all the huge trucks hurtling along.

I drove to Penrith today, must be getting used to Parramatta Road, because it was (almost) bearable. After work, I drove up the Old Blaxland Road, I think it is, right at Emu Plains, had a look around Mt Riverview, is it? Then back down the highway and onto the motorway.

I know that shop, actually was going to buy inner tubes and a gear cable from it on Thursday but happened to be in Chatswood so got them there. Will give your mate the business next time ;-)

I used to work with Tony at Garden Island Dockyard nearly thirty years ago. His family are keen cyclists, or were, I guess, in their youth, and billetted visiting cyclists in their home. He lives up your way. You are in Mona Vale? He lives at Newport. When he was made redundant around 1989, he opened that cycle shop.

Archived