North or South Sydney?

SamDesport

Hi

im moving to Sydney in a matter of weeks but am not sure where to live. I'll be working in St Leonards (North shore) so living north would make for an easier commute but I've been told it's expensive and a little boring.

I need an area that I can rent, up to $750pwk, with good public primary and high schools, that I can ideally afford to buy in later on, I can probably only afford ($750k). It'll be me, single mum, three kids and a dog. I've looked online and I don't think I can afford to buy north but I could afford to rent.

I've been told around Dulwich Hill, Summer Hill in the South is more lively but I worry th commute will take over 40mins. I understand there's more housing options around these areas, ie houses, apartments etc at a more reasonable cost and I need to consider this as my ex husband will eventually move to Sydney (his earning capacity is less so he'll be looking to pay considerably less). Any advice from anyone?

thanks

sam

Guest littlesarah

It depends how far North you're willing to go, as with every city I can think of, housing tends to be cheaper further from the centre. As for 'boring' - that's really a very subjective evaluation - it depends on what you want from the area in which you live. If you live within a train ride of the CBD, you have most things you could think of on your doorstep, I'd have thought!

You may want to try posting in the NSW section, or in the Sydney forum - then those who live in Sydney can give you their opinions.

I must admit I also don't really get the "boring" comments. St Leonard's is a suburb a short distance from the middle of Sydney, so if you are going to be bored then you are probably going to be bored in mostplacesin Sydney.

Personally if I were working north Sydney, I would look for somewhere to live north of the bridge. Getting over the bridge can be quite painful at times, if you can cut it out you would make your commute a lot easier nd save yourself some time every day.

I'd suggest you live somewhere in the Ryde area, especially North Ryde, as it's a nice area with good schools very convenient to St Leonards and well within your budget for rentals. Macquarie Shopping Centre is close by, ice skating rink, Lane Cove River Park, good public transport etc.

The commute from the inner west would take quite a bit more than 40 minutes I would think and the houses are significantly smaller.

Working in St Leonards? Royal North Shore hospital? If you can afford to rent in the St Leonards area, why not? St Leonards & Crows Nest are practically the same suburb, and there are plenty of shops, cafes, restaurants, with plenty more just down the road in Neutral Bay. The other way - north - of St Leonards - well, Chatswood has its detractors, but there are plenty of shops and restaurants, cinema, new arts centre too I think.

Perhaps you would like it more in Summer Hill, Dulwich Hill, Stanmore, Petersham. As long as you are close to a station, it is probably not too bad getting to St Leonards, depending on how far from St Leonards station you are working? (RNS is walking distance.)

PS If you are going to live in the Inner West, make it Strathfield rather than those other 'burbs, which, although closer to St Leonards, are on the all stops line so 44 mins compared to Strathfield's 34 minutes - I think it's the same train from the Western Suburbs, that goes straight through to St Leonards, so need to change trains. (I had a quick look on http://www.sydneytrains.info/timetables/ or is it http://www.131500.com.au/plan-your-trip/trip-planner?itd_anyObjFilter_origin=2&itd_name_origin=strathfield&itd_anyObjFilter_destination=2&itd_name_destination=st%20leonards&itd_itdTripDateTimeDepArr=dep&itd_itdDate=20131023&itd_itdTimeHour=11&itd_itdTimeMinute=55&itd_itdTimeAMPM=am&chkPlannerRemember=1trip1

Just Google 'Sydney trains' which is what I do!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I'm currently living in Perth and it was a couple of different people actually from Sydney that suggested north shore Sydney is more a suburban vibe compared to south Sydney which is more bustling and lively - is this a fair statement? 18yrs ago I stayed in paddington for a couple of months and loved it but now I gave kids, 12, 10 & 8yrs, and know that's too expensive, the accommodation too small and expensive. I'm hoping to find a location I can afford to buy in eventually and that there's enough to do there to occupy the kids. I suppose I'm hoping to find Sydney's equivalent to London's Chiswick or islington, perth's East Fremantle/Subiaco equivalent? It appears most of the schools in Sydney are good, so that's one less worry. So back to the various websites, reading and researching ...

Buying a house at $750k is challenging in suburbs close to the CBD. You probably will have to live 30 or 40 minutes away from the CBD to get that price. North Sydney and Eastern suburbs are expensive. But the lifestyle is good. There are good schools. They are family friendly, safe and peaceful. South Sydney is cheaper with more cultural mix.

Buying a house at $750k is challenging in suburbs close to the CBD. You probably will have to live 30 or 40 minutes away from the CBD to get that price. North Sydney and Eastern suburbs are expensive. But the lifestyle is good. There are good schools. They are family friendly, safe and peaceful. South Sydney is cheaper with more cultural mix.

Hmm that's my worry; I'll rent in a great area, get the kids settled in schools but then won't be able to afford to buy. And south will be too difficult commute wise to St Leonards. Oh such a dilemma

Hi Sam, I'm 27 and originally lived in North Sydney and Moved around a but since to Balmain, Cammeray, Potts Point and now I'm back in Kirribilli. I really wouldn't live anywhere else other than the lower north shore. It's so close to everything but you still have a safe relaxed lifestyle. I would necessarily suggest St Leonard's, but Cammeray, Crows Nest, Neutral Bay, North Sydney, or Wollstonecraft are all lovely areas and so close to the city or 5-15 min drive to Balmoral Beach all the way through to Manly and Freshwater beaches.

We rented in St Leonard's for six months, right by the hospital, and whilst it may not have lots of night life it's only a short train ride into the city. Crows Nest was always good for fun to stroll to for some breakfast or lunch. We'd often take a picnic down to Kiribllii or McMahons point to sit by the water and admire the view. If we needed standard shopping stuff we'd ride the train one stop to Chatswood to the mall there. Not particularly exciting but you can get your usual bits and bobs. When you're at the hospital go into where the station is find the Indian restaurant there. It does really good food from particular region of Indian which I forget but I do remember the happy food place! :)

We're waiting for our partner VISA to be granted and having lived out that way we always like Waverton and Wollstonecraft and are considering go back there to live.

Best of luck!

"I think I'm gonna be sad, I think it's today......"

Which Ryde though? North Ryde, Ryde, West Ryde, Top Ryde!?

If I was just starting out on my career with the ATO in Penrith, I'd seriously consider moving there, and I'd consider moving to any suburb where I had a job because I hate commuting. And whichever suburb it was, I'd become a 'local'.

Fair enough re: commuting.

My work address is Ryde, which just seems to be residential with the odd cluster of shops dotted around. I sometimes nip to the cafés and shops at Coxs Rd for lunch, which I think is North Ryde, but I don't find it very inspiring there. Top Ryde just seems to be a massive shopping centre, unless I'm missing something? West Ryde seems quite run down. Maybe I'm being too harsh...

I foolishly drove to Penrith today, did not leave until after 1045, and arrived at 1210, ten mins late. I drove down to the Nepean River after work, strolled for a few minutes, until the flies drove me back to my car. Then I went to Wallacia, had an OJ in the pub, then home via Luddenham where I turned left, eventually got on Elizabeth Drive, I think to Liverpool, interesting to see how the country becomes suburbia. I liked Wallacia and Luddenham, but the thought of commuting to Sydney to work......? There are some big properties out there too, real mansions.

I guess we are all governed by economics, house prices, whether to buy or rent. Some people can cope with commuting, whether by car, or public transport. Walking distance to some decent shops and a station is what I would look for.

Archived