Visa Questions

Magrim

Hey All,

I'm starting my Visa application and looking at submitting my skills assessment on the 29th November (I'll have two years working experience on the 28th and need over 2 years to make my application). But I have a couple of questions, regarding applying for my skills assessment:

I work in Internet Security, so my skills assessment is going to be carried out by the ACS. I've been looking at their requirements for submitting a letter from my employer regarding my duties etc. Looking at the template the ACS provide it is a one page A4 brief overview with 5/6 bullet points describing my duties which is signed and dated by my MD. After speaking to a friend who moved to Australia last year they said that this is potentially not enough to prove my current skills. They have said it's more likely to be around five pages which are needed to prove my working history detailing my skills and tools used (in my case security assessment tools etc). Is it likely I will need more than one brief page of A4 with 5/6 bullet points for my skills assessment as shown in the template on the ACS website? My friend did not have to apply for an EOI so they may be wrong. Please remember this is for my EOI not for my Visa, I'm uncertain if I have to provide more details for my job for the visa application.

I am also thinking about hiring an agent to help me with this process, is it worth hiring an agent? What are peoples thoughts on this?

If you'd like further details about myself please ask.

Thanks,

Phil.

Well you would need to get your skills assessment done before submitting an expression of interest as far as I know. These can take a while to come back, and once you are offered a chance to apply you really need it ready to go or risk missing your chance.

Leave yourself some margin for error in your work experience dates.

1 X A4 is enough, 2 if including a duty statement; recommended.

As a rule the ACS does not undertake 'integrity checking'. They leave that up to the DIBP.

Taxation and salary records and similar might be called for by the DIBP.

You would be well advised to check your eligibility with a RMA before you put your head in the lion's mouth

Aba: You are correct my friends did apply through a trade, so that is good to know that it may be enough for the ACS, thanks.

Blossom79: You are also correct I do need to apply for my skills assessment before applying for the EOI, the ACS states it will take up to and possibly over three months to get back to me, and the earliest I can apply for my skills assessment is the 29th. I have my IELTS exams on the 7th December, so I should have everything in place once the ACS get back to me, hopefully with a good answer!

Wrussell: What do you mean by a duty statement? Would this be a further supplement stating what duties I actually do? I assume by what you're saying that the DIBP will look further into what I actually do for a living. The office I work in is a shared office block, and lucky enough there is an RMA in the office next door to me so I've had a little free advice off them, however I'm not sure if it is actually worth me paying for their services. But the more I think of it, it probably is.

Thank you for all your messages back, it's very helpful :).

Archived