How Old is Too Old?

Guest George

Guest George

I would be very interested to here from anyone on this forum that has any views on the above. I'm early 40's and I must confess that although quite away down the visa process, in my darker moments, I wonder whether I've got it in me to start from scratch given my age. The loss of family, can I make it in the job market, will we make new friends, etc.

I've lived in Australia for a couple of years - I know its a fantastic place and to be honest I've never really got it out of my system.

Any views?

George

Guest stuckinblighty

Well George you've got more insight into whats infront of you than i have,I've never visted the place :shock:

You have to ask yourself what you want to be doing in 10,15,20 years time.Where would you like to be ? In the Uk or Aus ?

In my honest opinion the Uk has had its day.Aus is the place for the future and i feel in a few years they will be 'pulling up the drawbridge' so its now or never.

Go to Australia,get citizenship and have the best of both worlds...but thats only my opinion.

Best of British on whatever you decide :)

Lee

george,

Hubs and I are 42 now, will be off to oz in new year. Until last year, I thought I may be too old, but then hubby said "we're only half way through our working lives" (the way the pension age keeps going up he may be right :? ). Anyway, it made me think about what I wanted to do and working here for the NHS wasn't it. You'll have life experience to call on and realistic expectations of what it's going to be like - we're still going to have to work hard and have a mortgage, so no I don't think you're too old.

Ali

Guest Phil Olsen

Hollywood is saying that the forties is the 'new thirties' so its bound to catch on.

When I emigrated, the age limit was 40, it is now 45. People can get into Australia up to 55 years of age on an Employer visa (permanently!).

Australian Government is very serious about extending the working age of people in the workplace. Over 55's can draw on Super (I think) in addition to salary to keep them in the workforce.

Skills shortage here is chronic.

It is a great life and more and more migrants coming in.

Your age - no way too old, but starting friends again - either daunting or exciting - I prefer the latter - my friends in the UK are always and always will be my friends.

Phil

George, you're as old, (or young) as you feel! :wink:

Go for it, otherwise one day you will be an old man with a niggly regret in life! :lol:

Guest Philumission

Hi George,

I'm in a similar position I guess. 38 years old, but going on own. Just got

visa and going in a month.

It is certainly a conversation I have had with myself (Yep, going mad) throughout the process. Naturally, it is more difficult to break out of a 'comfort zone' the longer that you have been in it. Age, in itself, should not be a barrier and if it feel's the right thing to do then do it.

Personally, i'm not sure i've got it in me to stay here in the same old job and life style etc.

'You can always come back' might seem lame and a backward step, (And the regular line from family) but it is true and you will have had lifetime experience and will not be saying I wish I had done it 5, 10, 15 etc years ago for the rest of your life.

Good luck.

Hello all,

Although I'm still in my 20's (just) Michael is nearly 37. Reading this thread he is currently hyperventilating. In between gasps he is proclaiming "I'm not old!" He's not. People say you're only as old as the woman you're feeling (or man in this day and age!). But in all seriousness, if you want something you go for it, there is no point sitting in your nursing home in years to come (many years to come!) thinking 'I wonder... What if... Could I have ....'

Go for it!!!! :D:D You only live once

Archived