Rental Properties and Pets

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

PETS are still in the bad books with landlords, after a new survey showed just one in four first-time property investors plan to allow furry tenants in their properties. The 2013 First Time Property Investors survey by Mortgage Choice found that in NSW, just 23 per cent of respondents planning to purchase an investment property within the next two years would welcome pet owners. Only Western Australia (22 per cent) had a lower number. South Australian landlords were the most lenient with 25 per cent, while Victorians were a close second at 24 per cent.

"For animal lovers, being able to identify properties that will accept pets will be high on their list," said Mortgage Choice spokesperson Belinda Williamson.

"On the flip side, property owners who are happy to allow pets could open themselves up to a much wider rental market."

The national rental vacancy rate is already at 2.2 per cent according to SQM Research, which translates into less than 1 per cent for pet owners. The high demand for rentals means landlords can be fussy about tenants.

"Vacancies are tight, so landlords are focusing on attracting quality tenants," said Ms Williamson.

"It's interesting, because most pet owners look after their pets and know that it is their responsibility to fix any damages done to the property."

It's not all bad news though, with a higher percentage of younger Australians planning to allow pets, suggesting the future will be better for pet owners. Generation Y investors were the only group with more planning to allow than disallow pets by 37.1 per cent, to 34.8, with the rest undecided. Only 23.8 per cent of baby boomers were pet-friendly.

State governments are also looking at altering existing pet strata laws, as more Australians are confined to living in apartments due to affordability issues.

Default strata bylaws announced in NSW Parliament in June will mean that moving forward, pets are only banned if 75 per cent of owners vote to ban at a strata meeting. Currently, pets are automatically banned unless there is written approval.

"Pets and their owners, regardless of whether they're tenants or owners, shouldn't be forced to live apart due to outdated strata laws," said Amy Sanderson of LJ Hooker Property Management. "Most pet owners make great tenants because they're used to being responsible and caring and they never take a lease for granted."

There are estate agents who are pet friendly

They understand the difference between dogs the size of cats and dogs otherwise known as wolves

You need to be connecting with a EA to help you rather than filter you

As to are landlords who look for a win win situation (accommodate the additional family member :biggrin:, while protecting their financial asset), an extra bond is not legally allowed to be requested now, but additional clause in contract is.

Just don't expect un suitable accommodation (small apartments) to be viable.

Guest The Pom Queen
There are estate agents who are pet friendly

They understand the difference between dogs the size of cats and dogs otherwise known as wolves

You need to be connecting with a EA to help you rather than filter you

As to are landlords who look for a win win situation (accommodate the additional family member :biggrin:, while protecting their financial asset), an extra bond is not legally allowed to be requested now, but additional clause in contract is.

Just don't expect un suitable accommodation (small apartments) to be viable.

They have never been allowed to ask for an extra pet bond but if it is offered then the owner can accept (well that's in Victoria I'm not sure elsewhere)

Why'd ya have to go and post this! I got told on Wednesday that I have to move out of my house of nearly 6 years as my landlord wants to move back in. I have three cats and five chickens! He had never even hinted that he would want to move back in, and I was talking to him just last week and he didn't mention it.

Anyway, I figure the chickens will probably need a new home, but the cats aren't going anywhere without me!

I spoke to my real estate agent and asked if I could have a letter saying that the cats were all well behaved, no damage etc. Apparently they don't 'do' written reference letters, but are happy to tell people on the phone......

Anyway, after my panicking, she had convinced me that most landlords are not worried about cats, and the main thing is that our rent is paid on time and we have not damaged the house. She told us pets are the least of most landlords worries. Now you have me worried again. :(

Guest The Pom Queen
Why'd ya have to go and post this! I got told on Wednesday that I have to move out of my house of nearly 6 years as my landlord wants to move back in. I have three cats and five chickens! He had never even hinted that he would want to move back in, and I was talking to him just last week and he didn't mention it.

Anyway, I figure the chickens will probably need a new home, but the cats aren't going anywhere without me!

I spoke to my real estate agent and asked if I could have a letter saying that the cats were all well behaved, no damage etc. Apparently they don't 'do' written reference letters, but are happy to tell people on the phone......

Anyway, after my panicking, she had convinced me that most landlords are not worried about cats, and the main thing is that our rent is paid on time and we have not damaged the house. She told us pets are the least of most landlords worries. Now you have me worried again. :(

Does your agent have another property for you because they will know exactly what a good tenant you are?

Guest The Pom Queen
They did suggest that. They said I could search by real estate agent on real estate.com but I can't find their other properties. They are a pretty small agency. There are a couple we are trying to go see who say pets negotiable. :-)

Maybe ask the landlord direct for a reference. Good luck hun, I don't envy you moving

• 3 weeks later...

We're renting a brand new unit. The ad initially said 'no pets'. We have one cat and a couple of guinea pigs, so we asked anyway. With a little discussion, we got it - though there is an additional 'cat clause' in the contract. So my advice is, ask. Sometimes if you are obviously good tenants, and you only have a cat or small animals, you'll be OK.

[TABLE=width: 498]

[TR]

[TD]

We do not cover

Loss or damage caused by:– any animal owned by or in the custody of you, your tenant, or someone who is at the insured address with your consent or the consent of the tenant;

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

That's one of the reasons landlords are windy about animals, this is from my insurance PDS, I'm simply not covered if you bring animals in the house, no choice in the matter.

Our last tenants pets in the UK caused most of the damage and mess that cost us a small fortune to put right. The wolf-dog actually destroyed a kitchen cupboard door - apparently they kept its lead in the cupboard. The deposit only covered part of the rent lost by them doing a runner, rest is from what little is left of our savings.

However, being animal lovers we don't wish to ban all pets in future. We just had awful human tenants!!

Archived