schools and GCSEs

Guest o'reillys

Guest o'reillys

hi my name is tabitha im 11 and my brother george is 14

we are hoping to move to brisbane but my parents are unsure when is the best time cos of my brothers gcses, also does anyone know if you choose options like you do in england ?????

any advice about schools would be great !!! :)

hi tabitha and george.

im new to the site so unfortunately i cant offer any advice on your question

just wanted to start the ball rolling for you and get rid of that o

Bernie x

Hi there. We dont have GCSEs or A levels but what happens is that when you are in your last two years of school (years 11 and 12) you do choose courses and at the end of year 12 you have an assessment - some of it may be a continuous assessment but some of it may be tests - and then you get a score which may give you entry into a university course.

You generally get a little bit of choice when you start HS - different schools have different elective subjects so you may get a choice of technical drawing or drama for example but the core subjects are all going to be compulsory. When you get to year 11 you still have your core subjects but much more choice about the other subjects you take - you may like all science type subjects along with your English and Maths or you may like languages and art.

The best time for you to come would be so that your brother can start year 11 with other kids the same age as he is. The school year starts in Feburary so it may mean that he doesnt get to finish his GCSEs - that really is not a problem because most people in Aus have never heard of GCSEs and all they are concerned about is what grades you get at the end of year 12!!!

Archived