ACCA qualified + B.Sc - ICAA or CPA Australia Skill Assessment?

Possessed

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing good.. My first thread on this forum! :)

I'm sure questions like these would probably have been asked a thousand times before, but I'm hoping someone can help me with a small issue I'm facing. I am ACCA qualified (not a member yet) with two years of post qualification experience as an external auditor with a Big4 firm and also have a B.Sc. (Hons) in Applied Accounting degree from Oxford Brookes University. Now what I'm confused about is should I go with ICAA for my skills assessment (have heard they are better) or CPA Australia. I would, personally, chose ICAA for the skills assessment, but there's this clause on their website that's kind of unclear to me me. "Please note that student members of these bodies without a recognised Bachelor degree should only apply when they have become a full member."

Now, I did shoot emails to both of them. CPA Australia was very clear in their answer,that, they would consider both the ACCA exams and the degree (without any requirement for membership). ICAA, on the other hand, told me to apply for the skill assessment first and they would look into it then. I would be applying for the skilled independent (subclass 189) visa as an external auditor. I will not be getting my skilled employment assessed as it needs to be at-least of 3 years to be considered for 5 points.

I'm hoping people who have gone through the same would be able to help me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

From what you quoted :" "Please note that student members of these bodies without a recognised Bachelor degree should only apply when they have become a full member.", it is pretty clear that you satisfy the conditions because you have the Bachelor degree and the above does not apply to you.

Based on my experience with CPA, they will recognize your work experience from the date you passed the last of the 9 out of the 12 courses that they require, if the 4 mandatory courses are part of the 9.

On the other hand, to get your skills assessed, you do not need work experience. The skilled work experience assessment is done in addition to the positive skills assessment.

In brief, if you have the positive skillss assessment and you do not need the points from work experience, you can apply after you get the positive skills assessment.

From what you quoted :" "Please note that student members of these bodies without a recognised Bachelor degree should only apply when they have become a full member.", it is pretty clear that you satisfy the conditions because you have the Bachelor degree and the above does not apply to you.

Based on my experience with CPA, they will recognize your work experience from the date you passed the last of the 9 out of the 12 courses that they require, if the 4 mandatory courses are part of the 9.

On the other hand, to get your skills assessed, you do not need work experience. The skilled work experience assessment is done in addition to the positive skills assessment.

In brief, if you have the positive skillss assessment and you do not need the points from work experience, you can apply after you get the positive skills assessment.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess I'll give it a go with ICAA and see what happens.

Not sure why you are worried about that clause, it is referring to people that dot have a degree but you just said you had one?

It's because the degree was obtained in association with ACCA where you have to complete a certain number of papers of ACCA and write a research and analysis project to get it. That's why i was a bit cautious as they might not consider it an actual Bachelor's degree. Anyway, i'll give it a go nevertheless..

Do you have the document from Oxford Brookes University? If you officially graduated, it should not matter. You might have not completed ACCA because you do not have the experience or you have not paid a fee, etc - this should not be an argument against your bachelor degree.

I am not sure about the ICAA, if they require work experience to issue a positive skills assessment or not. You might want to check with them and then choose between ICAA and CPA.

• 1 year later...

Hi possessed,

I am currently in the same situation, I have BSc Applied accounting from Oxford brookes and I am part qualified ACCA with 18 months of general accounting experience. Kindly advise which body (CPA or ICAA) should I opt for? What was your experience with these accounting bodies, did you get your work experience assessed as well?

Hey guys,

I'm sure questions like these would probably have been asked a thousand times before, but I'm hoping someone can help me with a small issue I'm facing. I am ACCA qualified (not a member yet) with two years of post qualification experience as an external auditor with a Big4 firm and also have a B.Sc. (Hons) in Applied Accounting degree from Oxford Brookes University. Now what I'm confused about is should I go with ICAA for my skills assessment (have heard they are better) or CPA Australia. I would, personally, chose ICAA for the skills assessment, but there's this clause on their website that's kind of unclear to me me. "Please note that student members of these bodies without a recognised Bachelor degree should only apply when they have become a full member."

Now, I did shoot emails to both of them. CPA Australia was very clear in their answer,that, they would consider both the ACCA exams and the degree (without any requirement for membership). ICAA, on the other hand, told me to apply for the skill assessment first and they would look into it then. I would be applying for the skilled independent (subclass 189) visa as an external auditor. I will not be getting my skilled employment assessed as it needs to be at-least of 3 years to be considered for 5 points.

I'm hoping people who have gone through the same would be able to help me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

Hey,

I would personally go with CPA as they are very helpful and if you don't meet the skills assessment requirements they tell you what you need to do to get a positive assessment and will then reassess for free. I would be very cautious in regards to the Oxford Brookes Degree, I have had various email conversations with CPA and they have said a lot of Australian employers do not recognise it as a degree as you effectively only had to write a dissertation to get it and not study for 3 years and then do the professional qualification. However if you have taken all the ACCA papers (and not received exemptions) I believe you will have met their core subject areas to get a positive skills assessment. It is also great that you have post qualification experience as this will help with the points score.

One thing I'd like to add is that if you want to ensure you stand out to employers in Australia, and don't hold a standard accounting degree, I would look into taking a "top up master's degree" I believe it only takes 3 months and is recognised in Australia.

It's because the degree was obtained in association with ACCA where you have to complete a certain number of papers of ACCA and write a research and analysis project to get it. That's why i was a bit cautious as they might not consider it an actual Bachelor's degree. Anyway, i'll give it a go nevertheless..

Have you consulted a registered migration agent?

zeebeth,

u got your positive skills asessment on 22nd sep... so u applied for assessment on the basis of BSC hons in applied accounting or ACCA part qualified papers.

Hey,

I would personally go with CPA as they are very helpful and if you don't meet the skills assessment requirements they tell you what you need to do to get a positive assessment and will then reassess for free. I would be very cautious in regards to the Oxford Brookes Degree, I have had various email conversations with CPA and they have said a lot of Australian employers do not recognise it as a degree as you effectively only had to write a dissertation to get it and not study for 3 years and then do the professional qualification. However if you have taken all the ACCA papers (and not received exemptions) I believe you will have met their core subject areas to get a positive skills assessment. It is also great that you have post qualification experience as this will help with the points score.

One thing I'd like to add is that if you want to ensure you stand out to employers in Australia, and don't hold a standard accounting degree, I would look into taking a "top up master's degree" I believe it only takes 3 months and is recognised in Australia.

• 4 months later...
Hey guys,

Cheers!

hi so did you get your assessment done?

Archived