Areas to live in Sydney

Lisa radcliffe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Congrats on the visa, you must be over the moon :-)

As far as where to look for property, its a big big place with every option on area covered. Within a 30-40 min commute of the CBD you can have buzzing nightlife on the beach, or miles of open sand and no one around for miles. City living or a sleepy little suburb. Or anything you can dream of in between!!! First thing to do is get an idea of what you want then look for the where! Beach, City, Urban, Rural, Country and allot will depend on where you will need to get too for work and how much of a commute you are willing to consider! My boss comes in from near Newcastle every day and our office is next to the harbor bridge (Google maps it! its a long long drive lol)

With the $650k budget its all a matter of what you want and what kind of area! Beach and City are at a premium as are some of the more popular suburbs, the 1 bed apartment next door to us just sold for $680k, but thats Darling harbor!

I would consider getting a short term rental in the city and go explore for the first few weeks!! I say to go for the city as it makes getting out to places so easy! Everywhere has transport to the CBD so you can allways get a direct link out when house hunting rather than having to bus or train into town then swap to head out the other way! Plus all the touristy bits you will want to do are in the city lol

Hope this helps a bit :-) if you can give some idea of what kind of lifestyle and environment you are looking to find im sure you will be bombarded with suggestions

Within a 30-40 min commute of the CBD you can have ...... miles of open sand and no one around for miles.

Really? Miles of open sand and no one around for miles? Within 30-40 minutes of the CBD? For $650k?

Strange that I've never heard of such a place but it sounds perfect. Can you tell me where exactly?

I am afraid I don't agree with glowing post #2, I think you are going to be severely limited with a budget of $650k in sydney. In fact I wonder is this definitely your maximum or is there a bit more you can find?

I think $650k will rule out most of the areas I would personally wish to live in. The only place I can think of suggesting is Sutherland, even that could be a tough ask though.

I agree with Rupert. Your budget is low for many areas of Sydney, but Sutherland Shire is a beautiful area (we love it here and wouldn't want to move anywhere else in Sydney), and may be manageable with that budget if you look at places like Engadine, Heathcote and so on. Where will work be located? That will need to be factored in. No point looking in Engadine if work is in Hornsby.

Collaroy, Deewhy, etc. etc.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Apartment-Unit-Flat/NSW/Brookvale/?adid=2010728629

3 bed luxury unit in brookvale.

all you have to do is look

LOL! There's hardly no-one around for miles in Dee Why or Collaroy.

And an over-budget apartment in Brookvale is probably not really what the OP is looking for. :wink:

OP, there are well over 600 suburbs in Sydney. All of them have kids in them; you need to work out where you'll be working first, then how long a commute to work you can handle, then how many bedrooms you need, then whether you want a garden (or are prepared to sacrifice space for location), then we might be able to point you in a general area to look in.

Collaroy, Deewhy, etc. etc.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Apartment-Unit-Flat/NSW/Brookvale/?adid=2010728629

3 bed luxury unit in brookvale.

all you have to do is look

Collaroy. You have to be kidding right? I live in Collaroy and OP would be lucky to get a two bedroom apartment for that budget. We are not sure we would be able to afford to buy in Collaroy and our budget is double the OPs. And I am commenting because I look at houses on a very regular basis as we want to buy next year and have a good idea of what money can buy.

As for the poky apartment, it doesn't really look like somewhere a family would want to live in?

Depending on work, I would possibly suggest Berowra Heights / Hornsby Heights for your budget. They are lovely leafy suburbs with good schools and a good sense of community - they are quite a fair bit north of the city, but they close to the train and you could be in the city on the train around the 1 hour mark - if you had work in North Sydney, Chatswood or Ryde they are well positioned. Also they well positioned for going north to the Central Coast for some lovely beaches. They are both suburbs we have seriously considered them (my hubby is from Berowra Heights and his parents are still there), but think we want to spend a little more and go for the Northern Beaches, possibly Frenchs Forest where you could get a house for around the $850k mark. Good luck with the move.

I suppose it depends how big your family unit is? Could you live in a two bedroom unit (flat) for instance?. For a family friendly area, with a 'proper' house, well, my brother lives in Picnic Point and the suburbs around him - Panania, Revesby, Padstow, East Hills - I rather like, 35 minutes by train from the city, plenty of facilities, not close to the beach though. And if you are willing to move out west or south west, past Parramatta and Liverpool, well, plenty of people live there. I work at Penrith, 55 kilometres from the City, but for 650K you would a very nice home.

Hey OP

Just been having a nose on Domain, Seems if the commute is not to much bother Campbeltown may be worth a look??

There seems to be 3 bed houses that look really nice from as little as $450k on Domain.com.au

Its an hour or so from there to the city center by public transport, I used to do similar in the UK as did my wife for work so might be worth looking at!

Hey OP

Just been having a nose on Domain, Seems if the commute is not to much bother Campbeltown may be worth a look??

There seems to be 3 bed houses that look really nice from as little as $450k on Domain.com.au

Its an hour or so from there to the city center by public transport, I used to do similar in the UK as did my wife for work so might be worth looking at!

You may have to add on extra time, getting from where to live, to the station, either driving, or bus. Outside many stations, you will see long lines of cars parked. The service from Penrith is good because you can get a Blue Mts train, which means it's an express, limited stops service - 50 mins to Central.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived