186 visa questions

LisaO

Hi, I'm getting a little bit confused so looking for some of advice. We originally started out to get a 190 visa when during the skills assessment process my husbands work offered him a transfer which we grabbed with both hands but it was on a 457 although after speaking with his new boss he said had no problem continuing with our pr once there. After looking into it further I think we can get a 186visa if his work agrees to sponser us. Am I right in thinking this can be done from outside Australia? how long are these visas taking as guidelines say 6 month but my husband was talking to a migration agent (not ours) last week that said 190's are getting processed really quick at the moment & wondering if 186 is the same. Also is anymore work involved for his work than would be on 457? Hoping they will agree to it as would prefer pr before we go. Any other advice would be greatly received as I'm now onto our potential 3rd visa & my brains getting a little muddled.

Thanks Lisa

Hi, I'm getting a little bit confused so looking for some of advice. We originally started out to get a 190 visa when during the skills assessment process my husbands work offered him a transfer which we grabbed with both hands but it was on a 457 although after speaking with his new boss he said had no problem continuing with our pr once there. After looking into it further I think we can get a 186visa if his work agrees to sponser us. Am I right in thinking this can be done from outside Australia? how long are these visas taking as guidelines say 6 month but my husband was talking to a migration agent (not ours) last week that said 190's are getting processed really quick at the moment & wondering if 186 is the same. Also is anymore work involved for his work than would be on 457? Hoping they will agree to it as would prefer pr before we go. Any other advice would be greatly received as I'm now onto our potential 3rd visa & my brains getting a little muddled.

Thanks Lisa

At the moment, if I qualified for an employer sponsored PR visa and a skilled migrant visa, I would go for skilled migrant. They would both require a skills assessment in this situation and from there the skilled migrant visa is being processed more quickly right now (no 186 visas are not being processed quickly) and would not have to bother the employer in providing all kinds of stuff to get a nomination through.

Why don't you just carry on with your Skilled migrant application and either ask employer to wait or go on 457 in the meantime.

Many thanks for your replies. Sorry I missed out the point my husband has failed his ielts twice now so a 190 would be dependent on him passing that. He's getting 8's & 9 on everything but writing which he has only been getting 6.5. The skills assessment is all done which is why we are pushing for pr now rather than 457. Only issue is we will probably be going jan/feb so need a visa by then. I think my husband is reluctant for his work to do the 457 then ask to sponser a 186 straight away if he can't pass his ielts which is why we wondered if it was possible to go straight for the 186 now.

Thanks again

Archived