189 visa rules....timing....

shiveringpom

Ok so got the 189 visa and understand have to activate by date given and stay for 4 years then can apply for citizenship....

What is a resident return visa RRV ?

What happens if i want to holiday for a few weeks in uk in the first 4 years and or then say i dont apply for citizenship at the 4 year mark and i then pop back to uk for holidays after last date on PR visa ?????

Do they mean u only need this RRV if planning on staying and working in uk for a certain time on a 189 visa or do u need this even if just having a holiday.....

Stupidly confused here but cant seem to find the exact details/time allowed out of country before u need a RRV???

Say i want to pop to bali for a week or new zealand do i need this RRV for every trip outside of oz????? .....iam sure it must only mean if u r resident for tax purposes/working back in uk but can someone clarify..........feeling very :wacko: x

You only need RRV when initial visa expires, which for 189 will be 5 years after visa was granted. RRV will allow you back in to Australia. If you never leave Australia you never require RRV. Everyone requires a valid visa to enter Australia if they are not a citizen- this is all the RRV is. But you must be eligible for RRV- 5 year RRV requires 2 years in Australia out on previous 5 years.

just a few examples:

189 visa granted 2013 = you have up to 2018 to travel in and out of Australia without the need for RRV.

2018 = if you're staying in Australia and not plan on going outside the country, then you don't need to do anything. Your 189 is still valid. But if you need to go outside Australia, then you need the RRV. Depending on the length of your stay (and absences) during the 2013-2018 period, RRV is granted for 3 month (?) to 5 years. If you meet the maximum residency requirement, then it's 5 years.

Many thanks ,

do we have to keep close records of time in-out of oz over this 4 years?

We will only be taking holidays so should b ok to get citizenship before 5 yrs.....

Any tips on sort of stuff we have to provide when going for citizenship? Flight details/rental agreements etc?

Should have stayed when we first went to oz in 1999!

Thanks for any tips x