Working Holiday whilst waiting for 457?

movingtoaussieland

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already been covered (there's so much information on here I may well have missed it) but I was wondering if it's possible/advisable to go to Australia on a WHV while my company sorts out my 457 sponsored visa?

Bit of background - I already work for the UK entity of the company and am being transferred to work for our Australian entity in Melbourne.

I haven't submitted my application yet as I'm waiting for the company to get their application in to enable them to nominate then sponsor me. However, the company are being a little slow and I originally had a target of early November to be in Melbourne (I'm actually already essentially doing the job from the UK but the early morning conference calls will eventually drive me insane!)

I am wondering if I could head over in November on a WHV while we sort out the 457? I've seen a couple of posts advising people not to waste their WHV and be patient, but given that I've recently turned 30, I would lose out on the chance to do a WHV in a year anyway. Of course there is a chance the 457 won't be granted, but presumably if I can go on a WHV I can work for the company for 6 months in Melbourne while we figure out an alternative?

Any help/advice from the knowledgeable souls on here would be gratefully received! Thank you. :-)

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already been covered (there's so much information on here I may well have missed it) but I was wondering if it's possible/advisable to go to Australia on a WHV while my company sorts out my 457 sponsored visa?

Bit of background - I already work for the UK entity of the company and am being transferred to work for our Australian entity in Melbourne.

I haven't submitted my application yet as I'm waiting for the company to get their application in to enable them to nominate then sponsor me. However, the company are being a little slow and I originally had a target of early November to be in Melbourne (I'm actually already essentially doing the job from the UK but the early morning conference calls will eventually drive me insane!)

I am wondering if I could head over in November on a WHV while we sort out the 457? I've seen a couple of posts advising people not to waste their WHV and be patient, but given that I've recently turned 30, I would lose out on the chance to do a WHV in a year anyway. Of course there is a chance the 457 won't be granted, but presumably if I can go on a WHV I can work for the company for 6 months in Melbourne while we figure out an alternative?

Any help/advice from the knowledgeable souls on here would be gratefully received! Thank you. :-)

Hey,

Yeh I really wouldn't worry about it that much.. it's just going to come down to your personal circumstances.

My boyfriend came out on a Tourist Visa while he waited for his 457 to be granted... he was a little unfortunate in that his tourist visa expired becuase they encountered a few issues but DIAC simply placed him on a bridging visa until the 457 was granted.

I came to Perth on WHV whilst waiting for my 457 and it only took 4-5 weeks- no problems :)

What you'll need to ask yourself is if the 457 didn't get granted would you have been prepared to come to Oz on WHV and make the most of the year anyway? If so then why not do it?

Personally i'd say just do it.... the people that tell you to be care are those who have something too lose... do you have a family or are you coming on your own? 457s to me seem a really daft idea if you have a family to risky. Most of the people we know out here all were offerred 457 from being here on WHV and finding employers.... I doubt you would have any regrets :)

Good Luck!!

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the feedback, definitely given me some things to think about hearing from both sides of the fence!

I think if the 457 didn't work out for whatever reason I would like to stay on the WHV for the remainder of the year and then see how I go from there! They're back-filling my job in the UK so the company wouldn't have a job for me here to come home too, so why not stay and make the most of it.

I'm coming out on my own, from rented accommodation in the UK so I'm not really sacrificing a whole lot to do the move. The only real risk for me is ending up with no job there and no job to come back too - but I only have myself to support so it's not the end of the world. Obviously I'd be gutted if I had to come home, Australia has been a dream of mine for a long time, but at least I'd have given it my best!

It's good to hear that other people have done it that way and it's worked out. I guess I'm putting a lot of faith in my company to not let me down in a few months time, but they're investing a lot in making this move happen so I'm hoping they wouldn't go through all this without a longer term plan in mind!

Time to talk it over with the boss man I think! Fingers crossed!

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the feedback, definitely given me some things to think about hearing from both sides of the fence!

I think if the 457 didn't work out for whatever reason I would like to stay on the WHV for the remainder of the year and then see how I go from there! They're back-filling my job in the UK so the company wouldn't have a job for me here to come home too, so why not stay and make the most of it.

I'm coming out on my own, from rented accommodation in the UK so I'm not really sacrificing a whole lot to do the move. The only real risk for me is ending up with no job there and no job to come back too - but I only have myself to support so it's not the end of the world. Obviously I'd be gutted if I had to come home, Australia has been a dream of mine for a long time, but at least I'd have given it my best!

It's good to hear that other people have done it that way and it's worked out. I guess I'm putting a lot of faith in my company to not let me down in a few months time, but they're investing a lot in making this move happen so I'm hoping they wouldn't go through all this without a longer term plan in mind!

Time to talk it over with the boss man I think! Fingers crossed!

So this is my point. You could go over for a month on a WHV then get the 457, but if that does not work out for any reason your 457 is gone and your WHV is gone as well.

On the other hand you could be patient, see what happens with the 457. If it comes off you go over on that and then if things go pear shaped and you lose the job before you are 31, you can fall back on the WHV and stay another year. Or you can wait to see if it doesn't come off and then once you know for sure that it won't happen, you still can apply for the WHV anyway before you are 31.

I just don't think using the WHV as a stop gap before you know what is happening is the best option. Be patient wait and see, you still have opportunity to apply for a WHV if nothing else comes off.

Understood, thanks Rupert. I definitely see your point in terms of keeping the WHV in my back pocket as an insurance against something going wrong down the line. :-)

I guess holding fire for a month or two wouldn't hurt, just keen to get over there as soon as possible as trying to cover the time zone from the UK is causing some issues.

I also know the company want me out there sooner rather than later (despite the snails pace of the visa process) so I was looking for alternatives to try to help things along.

Thanks for the advice.

Understood, thanks Rupert. I definitely see your point in terms of keeping the WHV in my back pocket as an insurance against something going wrong down the line. :-)

I guess holding fire for a month or two wouldn't hurt, just keen to get over there as soon as possible as trying to cover the time zone from the UK is causing some issues.

I also know the company want me out there sooner rather than later (despite the snails pace of the visa process) so I was looking for alternatives to try to help things along.

Thanks for the advice.

If they want you out there sooner they need to speed up not you. If you got the WHV they have even less incentive to sort the 457.

Archived