Driving licences - young driver query

no1mum

Hi, we have recently sold all our wordly goods and are in rented awaiting to fix our departure date for our migration to Perth. It has been a long process of a few years to obtain our perm residency visas, followed by waiting for youngest child to finish A levels. We have just hit a dilemma for my daughter. She passed her UK driving test March 2013 aged 17yrs. Looking at websites it appears that she has to hold a licence for over 2 years to automatically qualify for an oz licence. Does anybody know if it has to be 2 years of a full licence or does the provisional time period get included? Also, any advice on the process of the OZ testing process if she does have to resit it in OZ? Any advice will be helpful as she is actually considering following us a year later rather that go through the trauma of having to resit a practical driving test. Nerves were not helpful on the 3 tests she had in the UK!

Hi, we have recently sold all our wordly goods and are in rented awaiting to fix our departure date for our migration to Perth. It has been a long process of a few years to obtain our perm residency visas, followed by waiting for youngest child to finish A levels. We have just hit a dilemma for my daughter. She passed her UK driving test March 2013 aged 17yrs. Looking at websites it appears that she has to hold a licence for over 2 years to automatically qualify for an oz licence. Does anybody know if it has to be 2 years of a full licence or does the provisional time period get included? Also, any advice on the process of the OZ testing process if she does have to resit it in OZ? Any advice will be helpful as she is actually considering following us a year later rather that go through the trauma of having to resit a practical driving test. Nerves were not helpful on the 3 tests she had in the UK!
. Hi no1mum, I may not be 100% correct but I was in the driving license centre last week in oz (we recently emigrated and were getting our oz license) and I'm sure I read in the booklet that if you are under 25 then you need to take an oz driving test. Don't hold me to that but I'm fairly certain I did read that statement . Good luck on your move to oz

If you hold a driver licence from an ‘experienced driver recognised’ country and you are under 25 years of age you will be required to undertake and pass the theory and practical driving tests prior to the grant of a WA driver’s licence.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp

The UK is a "recognised country" rather an 'experienced driver recognised country".

From my reading of the WA website the license for a car can just be transferred over with just an eyetest.

I don't know the situation in other states, but my daughter passed her UK driving test two days before moving to NSW. She had to wait to get her UK licence posted to her, but the day it arrived she went to the local RTA office and about half an hour later of paperwork walked out with an Australian red P licence. She will be treated exactly as if her driving test was in Australia, and will be on the red Ps until it is a year since she passed her UK test, and then on green Ps for two years before having the full licence. I hope it is the same for you in WA.

All the best!

Many thanks for the links and your comments. Guess she will have to endure the trauma of being a L driver again. She will not be happy, but it means that we will have to consider our initial settlement area to have transport links for the first year at least.

They have changed the rules here in WA and once you have sat your PDA (driving test) you have to accumulate 25 hours driving experience over 6 months before you can sit your hazard perception test and get your P plates if you pass. I believe this is the procedure for people who have not held a UK licence for more than 2 years.

If you are moving NOR then I recommend http://www.driveadastra.com.au/ He is a UK driving instructor who will get you through your test no bother.

Archived