teaching interview process and tips required

wolvesaussie

hi my girlfriend has her first teacher job interview next week in victoria. does anyone have an tips I can pass on which may help her. also does anyone know if its all over in a day like the uk. she says in uk u have to wait around with your fellow interviewees and they come out xfactor style and announce a winner and u must accept on the spot or they offer to next choice

anything in particular she should revise?

hi my girlfriend has her first teacher job interview next week in victoria. does anyone have an tips I can pass on which may help her. also does anyone know if its all over in a day like the uk. she says in uk u have to wait around with your fellow interviewees and they come out xfactor style and announce a winner and u must accept on the stop or they offer to next choice

anything in particular she should revise?

I had an interview in Melbourne last week...it was then shortlisted to 3 people for a 2nd interview, I was interviewed the next day for the 2nd interview. I am still waiting to hear. I called the school today and was told they are still going through the selection process as not everyone had their 2nd interview on the same day.

I have no tips, if she is passionate about teaching/subject and haven't told any lies on her CV then she should be ok, but a word of warning...the panel had studied my CV, each having circled/underlined things...asking questions about my actual degree that I finished 14 years ago, etc. Also asking me to explain things that I had written as it is a different system, from teaching styles to assessment/examinations. I had no problems answering any of the questions as they were all in truth, and I am very passionate about my subject/teaching which the head teacher commented on at the end of my interview.

Thanks for that both, I have set her off looking at collaborative teaching and planning as we type :). How you finding the job hunt Obxer? Lot of people on here warning its hard, shes applied for about 10 jobs in the last 2 weeks , she had 4 rejections 1 interview and 5 havent heard back for as yet.

Thanks for that both, I have set her off looking at collaborative teaching and planning as we type :). How you finding the job hunt Obxer? Lot of people on here warning its hard, shes applied for about 10 jobs in the last 2 weeks , she had 4 rejections 1 interview and 5 havent heard back for as yet.

It sounds like she is pretty organised and doing all the right things if she has already sourced and applied for 10 jobs in a short time. She will be fine.

If she is going for any private school posts she might want to be ready to talk about involvement in extra curricular activities/ clubs. The private schools sometimes run these evenings / Saturdays so it will mean extra working hours.

Sorry I can't give much help on the interview front. I only had one interview and got it, so stopped there. It was a much less formal process than UK and it was all done within an hour and a half including the tour. I didn't have to teach a class or anything and was given a full time permanent contract with a probational period. In hindsight I should have been more aware at the time of the ongoing transition from the Queensland curriculum to the Australian curriculum and what it meant for my subjects.

Best of luck. Let us know how she gets on

Millie x

Each teacher has a different system, but students generally regularly change seats as directed.

I always start my junior classes with seating plans as it helps me remember their names quicker.

it also tells them that its I'm the boss.

i then relax it as required.

Year 8s have been going a bit loopy over the last two weeks, so it's back into the seating plan for them. They get the idea very quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived