Budget questions

Danners

Hi there, been running the numbers (or trying to) and would really appreciate a view on whether I'm being aggressive enough on some of the 'bigger' items.

Family of four (kids 3 and 1) with one car, modest home about 45 mins train ride from the CBD. Me = working in the city, wife = currently stay at home mum.

Thoughts welcome - thanks!

[TABLE=width: 402]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Monthly[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]HOUSING[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mortgage/Rent[/TD]

[TD]AUD 3,200[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Home Insurance[/TD]

[TD]AUD 125[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]UTILITIES[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity, heating, water, refuse[/TD]

[TD]AUD 250[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Phone and Internet[/TD]

[TD]AUD 50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Phone mobile[/TD]

[TD]AUD 80[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cable[/TD]

[TD]AUD 120[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GROCERIES[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Groceries (food & household goods)[/TD]

[TD]AUD 867[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dining/Eating Out[/TD]

[TD]AUD 433[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TRANSPORTATION[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Insurance[/TD]

[TD]AUD 108[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fuel[/TD]

[TD]AUD 217[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bus/Taxi/Train Fare[/TD]

[TD]AUD 520[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Registration/License[/TD]

[TD]AUD 50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CHILDREN[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]School Fees[/TD]

[TD]AUD 650[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ENTERTAINMENT[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Hobbies[/TD]

[TD]AUD 500[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You might want to add in medical expenses/private health insurance plus contents insurance (in addition to home buildings if you have a mortgage) plus perhaps income protection insurance? Add road service for the car. What about clothing?

You may also want to consider a salary sacrifice into superannuation for your old age. Then add holidays on top too. I've no idea where it went but excluding mortgage/rent and paying everything off on a credit card each month, my average spend for two oldies running two cars close to the centre of a city was $5k and that was a couple of years ago (no expensive vices either just a preference for organic foods). Your groceries may be a little low IMHO but you can probably economy shop and keep it down to that.

You might want to add in medical expenses/private health insurance plus contents insurance (in addition to home buildings if you have a mortgage) plus perhaps income protection insurance? Add road service for the car. What about clothing?

You may also want to consider a salary sacrifice into superannuation for your old age. Then add holidays on top too. I've no idea where it went but excluding mortgage/rent and paying everything off on a credit card each month, my average spend for two oldies running two cars close to the centre of a city was $5k and that was a couple of years ago (no expensive vices either just a preference for organic foods). Your groceries may be a little low IMHO but you can probably economy shop and keep it down to that.

thanks, I have health through work and superannuation. But I'll up my food estimate I think, as you're not the first to suggest I might be a little low there. I'm on a 457 so no point in income protection as I'll be shipped out if things go bad!

Appreciate the feedback!

u must have expensive tastes if ur going to spend 8500 a month.. I dont think car insurance will be that much. I just got car insurance for a learner driver and myself with no claims for only $400 a year.. small car though but i bet it wuld be £1000 in the UK

Hi, I absolutely don't have expensive tastes :) I'm hoping I've aggressively overestimated, to be honest. For the car insurance (likely a 3-4 year old safe family car) I've tried to account for registration and everything (someone told me it's 400 on top of the fully comp insurance, or something) plus insurance for a little scooter.

just realised two things. 1) I've double counted the reg fees, 2) I've grossly overestimated the train fare. Sweet, that brings it down to about 8k

Archived