Act teachers, tutors, lecturers, advice needed, do i need a PGCE to teach adults?

skellysgirl

Hi all, i am hopefully making the move to ACT next July

I have recently become unemployed, and given the fact i don't need to work, plus ill maybe struggle to find something temporary in my field, i have been wondering if i should instead try and whip though a Adult learning PGNC.

Adult learning is where i hope to end up in my long term future, and is something i hope to slide slowly into. In the UK i would now need the PGNC to teach, its a fairly new rule, so i wondered what the regulations were in Oz, in particular ACT. I have a base degree, just no teaching qualification.

Is it worth doing before i come over, ill have just enough time to get it finished. I have not had the time before and cant help thinking the next 9 month is a perfect gap to invest in my training. But if its not a recognised or needed qualification it adds to the equation

For teaching at a school here I would look at your subjects, probably need at least two that you could teach. You will need post grad teaching diploma from university to teach here if you have a base degree.

For adult teaching there are different requirements but Aus is all about qualifications so I would check the State you are intending to live in and find out what you need to teach.

Just as a heads up they have been reducing the numbers of adult teachers in our technical colleges, amalgamation they call it but its getting rid of staff by stealth. You need to also see if its on the skills list.

I am a graphic designer by trade, but have moved into web design. I already have my visa, so i will be coming anyway, i was just wondering if the qualification will improve my chances of a job really and if the qualification is a necessity. I want to end up in that area anyway, i would just prefer a few more years in industry first. But the opportunity of spare time to complete the qualification is tempting me. i just don't want to get it and find id didn't need it.