Beware Mossies are in abundance

Petals

:cry: Not looking forward to being eaten alive....I'm like a Cadburys fruit n nut to mossies....irresistible. Not surprised though that there about already as it's been a warm winter!

Warm winter, could have fooled me, even I have a onesie now !

I do miss central heating ;-(

At least it's warming up now :-)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Extra Vitamin B can help keep them away.

Don't forget they also carry heart worm that can kill dogs, so check with your vet to see if you are in a heart worm area. Dogs can be protected with a one off yearly injection, much easier than trying to remember to give them a pill once a month. Just remember you cant give your dog heart worm preventative treatment unless it has had a blood test first to see if it has heart worm so check with your vet.

Prolonged use of repellent is hardly good for the body. Better off wearing long sleeves and trousers during twilight hours. Mozzies tend to go for the feet and legs so keep covered or burn a mozzie coil which is what I am inclined to do.

It has been a warm winter here in WA. I can't understand anyone saying otherwise. Don't have central heating and wouldn't want it. Perth at least has a near to perfect winter temp. I was more in fear of Dengue Fever when living in Fat North QLD, than Ross River at least in Perth.

Oh and vegemite is said to keep these pests at bay.

I agree the winter temps are very good (and warmer than previous years apparently) but not at night with no heating or any way to stop the wind howling through the windows.

Unfortunately we have come from a house that was 18c at night and 20c in the day thanks to double glazing and central heating.

It seems madness to run any heaters here as it all just goes out the windows. Ah well this is Australia and we love it regardless ;-))

Oh does Marmite work as well as vegemite ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I struggle with knowing the risk with this. I don't use repellent due to all the chemicals and prefer the long trousers approach. However they do bite through them. We burn the sticks but I think I need something more powerful outside that zaps them maybe?

I struggle with knowing the risk with this. I don't use repellent due to all the chemicals and prefer the long trousers approach. However they do bite through them. We burn the sticks but I think I need something more powerful outside that zaps them maybe?
Understand your concern re chemicals but in reality safer than getting Ross River or Bahmar Forest fever, or dengi fever, all of which have the ability to make you very ill . Our grandson has a really bad reaction to Mozzies and ended up with a "staff infection" was on antibiotics for months ! I got Ross River in 1989, ended up in hospital for 3 weeks and it took me almost 3 years for the effect to ware off and even now I still have some issues with my eyes due to the ross river virus. Some people have little of no reaction, but as I said some can have a really bad reaction.

Have you tried the coils? They are usually quite effective when seated and keep the little blighters at bay. I spent quite some time in Asian countries at that was my preferred method. Had a coil burning when sleeping in non air con non net rooms as well. Never bothered in Australia.

Same here, I really don't like using all those chemicals and I have very sensitive skin that is often allergic to most creams and lotions. Also too hot to wear long sleeves n trousers in the summer and they bite right through my trousers/socks anyway. I really do find it a problem trying not to get bitten regardless as there everywhere, day or night. Can't really use strong DEET or so every day, not good for health at all.

Guest littlesarah

Actually, the evidence is that vitamin B is not an effective mozzie repellent, as this study concludes: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16033124

The evidence for DEET suggests that the risk of toxicity is low when it is used as directed (http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/15563659709001224), and the risks of using chemical repellent probably outweighs the risk of contracting mosquito-borne disease for most of us. Coils and other repellents that are deployed into the air themselves contain 'chemicals' that may be inhaled, and although most of us wouldn't use a coil indoors, nonetheless analysis shows that they emit potentially harmful smoke: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1241646/ Again, though, I suspect that the risk is outweighed by the risk of infection.

I found a summary of the 'natural' alternatives to DEET and other synthetic repellents: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3059459/

I think it's also important to remember environmental factors that we can control - for example making sure we don't have uncovered water reservoirs in which mosquitos can lay eggs, ensuring we take steps to provide physical barriers (i.e. flyscreens), clothing choices, etc

Archived