Shipping container: should I ship a box of old photos?

Tez191

Hi,

The shipping container comes next week, with us leaving the following week, from Birmingham UK to Brisbane Australia.

I have read the various posts here about packing materials, cleaning, goods not to include, etc, so thank you all for your advice. However, I couldn't find if anyone has answered a query on shipping photos in the container.

We have a large-ish box of old photos, from our pre-digital days, which is very heavy so we can't really put them in our suitcases. If we put them in the shipping container are they likely to get damaged by the humidity / heat? Or is there some way to protect them for the journey?

I know the answer will be 'they will probably get damaged regardless', and I will instead have to cull the collection and scan/take on our flight, but thought I would ask just in case!

Thanks

Terry

Hi there, We are shipping over a load of old photos aswell, I plan on wrapping them really well before putting them in the box, I know the shipping company uses this special wrapping paper or something that should protect them, I am not worried about them getting damaged, I am sure it will be fine

Becky :)

Thanks all. I will wrap them and send them in the shipping container. If I find any sentimentally valuable one then I'll put them in a separate pile to pack in our suitcases.

Terry

I don’t see any problems there...

We once were living in Germany. As we were about to move to Canada, we packed all our stuff in one huge

container and shipped it right ahead.

Back then we got an offer from a company a good friend worked for. They provided the container and the

transport from our home to harbor or wherever they took him threw.

But we of cause needed to close the container ourselves. A few days before they were supposed to

pick him up, we realized, that anybody could open the container, because it was closed but not locked!

banner-container-seal.jpg

Huge drama, but finally, we organized a container seal. It’s a special locking system. We were told not to

use a regular shackle lock. I don’t know why, but this is what they told us. Germans are very accurate at

those things.

Finally we found container seals on seals-germany.com.

Maybe this isn’t necessary for you at all, but this is what these forums are about right?

Hopefully you’ll ha a wonderful move with no problems and no delays.

banner-container-seal.jpg

Archived