How to complete my thesis for PhD in Economics now after coming to Adelaide SA??????

Annoisa

Hi All,

We got our grant on 475 sub class in may 2013 and we are in Adelaide now. I was doing PhD in economics and my thesis was almost going to complete. what should i do now in Adelaide to get help for my thesis in which methodology used is of CGE modeling and GAMS software for the simulation i need to do a course from University of Adelaide for these two methodologies but cant search them or either they are too expensive to afford. what should i do as my co-supervisor is not answering either... should i leave phd? because i cant go back with three kids now.

Is there anything i can see as a way out please much desperate for any advice or help.

Greetings,

Annoisa

Guest littlesarah

I think this is something you can only sort out with your supervisor. I think you'd struggle to find someone willing to help you without you being their PhD student (in my experience academics are very busy and have a massive workload including PhD supervision already). I don't know enough about economics to be able to help with that, but for me, developing the methodology was the very first thing I did, followed by data collection, with some writing as I went but with most of writing to come once I have findings to report. I suspect though that it is different for those PhDs that are less science-based. What did you agree with your supervisors before you left?

I would be very surprised if you could find anyone to supervise your PhD for free! let alone any of the other issues. You need to discuss this with the institution you are enrolled at, and you certainly need to be discussing this with your supervisor...

Presumably you will be expecting to submit through your current institution?

How much is almost complete? not really understanding why you need to learn methodological tools if you're nearly done....

Sorry to hear you are experiencing these problems. Not sure how your institution works, but if you are close to completion, you are still a part of your former institution and entitled to supervision from the people assigned to you.

You should definitely discuss this with your supervisor - Skype meetings and distance support should be possible considering your situation.

Best of luck!

What were you intending to do for your viva? We had to do them face to face, skype or phone interview wasn't acceptable. If you're in the final stages of writing up it shouldn't matter where you are; it's common for people to move away from the institution and get a job at that stage (fees might be an issue next year though), but if you're not that advanced you might be looking at having to try and get a new supervisor and get them to take on your project locally, which may be challenging from a funding point of view

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

As a registered student at a UK institution, you are entitled to supervision whether you are physically present or not. This may be via Skype or email, phone. ie whatever you can put in place with your supervisor. Discuss things with your supervisor now (although remember that August is both time for holiday and for attending conferences and sept is the very busy start of the new UK academic year, so not hearing from your supervisor at this time is not that surprising. Contact them again (maybe by phone to make sure you get hold of them)). If s/he won't play ball after that, you should refer the matter to your Head of Dept or School asap (so there is a record of your not receiving supervision from a set date) for them to put something suitable in place, which regulations require they do. Several people are indicating on this site that academics don't supervise for free. That's not entirely true! We regularly assist students who are not our own students because it is quite frequent that a supervisor won't have expertise in a particular aspect that becomes relevant for the student's PhD and that the said student contacts someone at another institution. The likelihood of your finding someone to help, however, strongly depends on the amount and the type of input required. If you do find someone who has the right expertise you need, you may have to compromise and offer in return to the individual helping you co-authorship of journal articles and research publications or such like. In all likelihood though, if there is a lot to do on your thesis, you are very unlikely to find someone to help you if you are not registered with that person's institution. It really all depends on how 'nearly done' you are and all you can do is identify someone and contact them to discuss the options. You may be surprised by what you get back. Your supervisor at your UK institution cannot withdraw supervision. So if you have not received supervision for a while and there is a record of that (hence informing your HoD) and if you continue not to receive supervision and cannot sort this out direct with your supervisor, your completion date may be pushed back accordingly if a valid case can be made. Remember though that you will have to be physically present for your viva at the very end, but the date would be set in consultation with you and usually months in advance. Yes, suspending/deferring is an option, but in my experience, those who do rarely return and complete. It all depends on how much your really want to complete your PhD. I would suggest you try and resolve this informally with your supervisor via a phone conversation and agree a plan of action now. Be clear about what you want/need from them. Everything else will be time consuming and once you go down the route of official complaints etc at your UK institution, a lot of red tape will be involved. Good luck!

Hi All,

You are all so kind to answer me yeah i contacted my supervisor requested him to help online like skype and gmail etc and he agreed oh what a relief now have to give more time. and when i ll need visit his place and get more and more help. I hope i ll finish my PhD work soon...hopes and hopes but thanks to all of you. looking forward for your further good suggestions in future.

Annoisa

Archived