Swapping a UK driving Licence for a QLD one

Dawn2002

Hi There,

Quick and simple one I hope. Anyone who has swapped their UK licence for a QLD one - how long did it take ? Do you need a utility bill etc as a form of ID ?

Reason I ask is our car is arriving about a month after us and I need to present a QLD licence to the people doing all the customs and stuff in order to get the process moving, (I may have misunderstood it but that's how I read their letter anyway). So I need to know if I need to make it higher up on my list of things to do after we find somewhere to live.

Cheers all.

Dawn

What visa at you on? if you're on a 457 you can drive legally on your UK one. If PR you still have three months from arrival.

It was easy though, take both parts of the UK one, passport, utility bill, fill out the form which you can get online and it'll be done there and then.

Wow. Yes, I have only lived here for 4 years we are in Great Baddow and I love it here, I'm from Romford originally. I will be sad to go but we came back 10 years ago with the intention of staying for 2 or 3 and going back, but life overtook us. When do you think you will be going ?

If its done there and then I can leave it for a bit which is good, will also help with the identity documents as well. looked on the website and seems it will be just under $150 for a 5 year licence, that does seem pricey seen as ours just renew every 10 years and I don't think it costs that much, anyway, it's got to be done, so no point moaning about it. At least I don't need to take another test !

Wow. Yes, I have only lived here for 4 years we are in Great Baddow and I love it here, I'm from Romford originally. I will be sad to go but we came back 10 years ago with the intention of staying for 2 or 3 and going back, but life overtook us. When do you think you will be going ?

My Nan lives down Foxholes in Great Baddow lol. Small world lol. We won't be there for a while yet as doing a nursing degree before we go xx

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, it's been a while to reply, the thread has gone completely off track but.

Counting Stars - I walk past Foxholes every day so your nan lives about 10 mins walk from me !!

Surf and Sea, have only ever been to Freeport in Braintree, quite a lot recently stocking up on stuff for the move, so if you ever go there and see a stressed out woman trying to control two kids it's more than likely me !

Look me up when you get here.

I do find it pretty amazing how small the world can seem sometimes, Dawn

Guest GeorgeD
Hi There,

Quick and simple one I hope. Anyone who has swapped their UK licence for a QLD one - how long did it take ? Do you need a utility bill etc as a form of ID ?

Reason I ask is our car is arriving about a month after us and I need to present a QLD licence to the people doing all the customs and stuff in order to get the process moving, (I may have misunderstood it but that's how I read their letter anyway). So I need to know if I need to make it higher up on my list of things to do after we find somewhere to live.

Cheers all.

Dawn

I did this three years ago...you go to a QLD Roads Department and they process it there and then. Take your UK licnence, some ID, you'll need something with a QLD address on it to prove residencey there (they won't give you one if you live in Sydney and are there for a couple of days for example) Details here http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Getting-a-car-driver-licence/Open-licence.aspx

They made up the little card there and then (they take your photo, etc) and hand it to you after 20 mins or so. I think it has changed now that they have the chip cards (a recent change) which may get posted out to you. It really doesn't take long, but get it done as soon as you can as your driving licence will make life easier for ID for other things.

On the Spouse Visa you have 3 months to change your licence. If you don't do it in this time, then you need to start from scratch as a learner and sit the exam in QLD. If you do it within 3 months, there is no test, so for the love of God, don't hang about in case you forget!

I did this only a couple of months back.

You dont seap licenses as such, just buy a new one. They take a photo their and you get it in the post a few weeks later. They used to previously give a pretty cheap looking card on the day but now you get a much better one through the post

Thanks for the info, I have looked at the page and also my licence and have realised/remembered that when I moved last I checked the Miss box and not the Mrs box, I put off changing it at the time, kicking myself now of course, we are going on just over 2 weeks and have hire cars booked here in the meantime, so I am not going to be able to get it changed, do you think this will cause a problem ?

On the Spouse Visa you have 3 months to change your licence. If you don't do it in this time, then you need to start from scratch as a learner and sit the exam in QLD. If you do it within 3 months, there is no test, so for the love of God, don't hang about in case you forget!

Emm....Not quite true mate.You will get a fine or get sent to court as effectively you are unlicensed as your right to drive on QLD roads with your UK licence only lasts for three months after you land to stay permantly.

Guest GeorgeD
Emm....Not quite true mate.You will get a fine or get sent to court as effectively you are unlicensed as your right to drive on QLD roads with your UK licence only lasts for three months after you land to stay permantly.

Yes, I know. That's what I was getting at...after 3 months, you don't have a licence and have to start as a learner...so don't hang about!

Archived