Motorbike helmets

chubbs75

As far as I know they're not.

Australia has its own helmet classification scheme, and you need to have the appropriate sticker affixed to prove its legal. Without that you're considered to be riding without one, and fined appropriately. So you can only legally wear them off road, or on a track day.

That said, apparently Australia has signed up to the CE standards, which will take over from the local ones in the next few years. (According to a post on the HUBB.) So you might be OK sometime in the future.

That's the last of your issues mate - anyone filled you in on the cost of rego yet?

2001 R6 in Melbourne Suburbs...........................................................$790 a year!

That's just road tax, nothing else. Still need to insure it as well. Enjoy :-)

WA you need a Australian compliance sticker and a label in the helmet , I was stopped by a cop , with my shoei helmet I got it from the US half price of these ribbin two hats , it didn't have a sticker but has the DOT standard . I argued but he let me off with a warning, he could have issued a fine or a not roadworthy yellow sticker on the bike so I would have to pay to get it checked over the pits

That's the last of your issues mate - anyone filled you in on the cost of rego yet?

2001 R6 in Melbourne Suburbs...........................................................$790 a year!

That's just road tax, nothing else. Still need to insure it as well. Enjoy :-)

Just paid my car tax here, just over £400! So on my last calculation that just on is $700 a year, really not a lot of difference.

Just paid my car tax here, just over £400! So on my last calculation that just on is $700 a year, really not a lot of difference.

You are comparing buying rego for a car with a large engine in the UK (actively discouraging gas guzzlers) to a 600cc motorbike in Oz ya daft bugger! No idea what this comparison is supposed to mean.....

Here's a thought - let us know how much road tax you pay on your motorbike in the UK. A la, that's my point. I know rego for large cars is expensive in the UK.

When you've been here for a while - you'll want people to know things like this as it is real world information, not a TV show about how everyone runs around buying big houses on big blocks in nice areas of Melbourne or what-ever (a near impossibility for most people)......

Beep beep beep beep beep - serious rose tints alert.

Yes bike rego was a shock! Same price as cars! 2 bikes and a wee car for the wife = lots of cash for rego.

Back on topic...... If your helmet hasn't got one of the conformance stickers from my earlier post, and associated internal labelling, then you're stuffed. New helmet needed, albeit that the one you want to buy may well be an identical helmet to the one you currently have only it will now cost twice as much just because of the Aussie Standards label.

What are the chances of being pulled for having a non-confirming lid? The cops do do targetted monitoring in popular biking areas for lots of biking issues, speed, pipes, rego etc so it is a risk you will have to factor in.

For me, i just bought a cheapie Aus standard lid and will save up for a decent one! :-) while my expensive ece22.05 acu gold standard lid just sits gathering dust.

Apparently penetration testing is the issue for the Aus standard.

Interestingly, NZ accepts the EU ECE22.05 standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think helmets are staying. My motocross helmet is few years old and hit the ground twice so that's going to the bin.

The other one is a brand new Box helmet which is cheap but got an amazing paint job on it.

Reading the post probably that stays as well since no labels in it apart from the E9 and the ACU gold sticker and the ece sticker.

Archived