Brit electrician needing info on oz electrical license!!

Willgolf

Hi everybody,

I'm currently in the process of doing my 189 skilled visa to oz. hopefully me and my girlfriend will be out there sometime next year.

I have had my skills assessed in the uk as part of my 189 visa. I have read allot of topics on here about obtaining a WA electrical license.

Could anyone give me some info on the next steps I need to take to get my WA license and is there anything I can do here in the uk, to prepare myself or speed up the process for when I get there next year???

Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I'm currently in the process of doing my 189 skilled visa to oz. hopefully me and my girlfriend will be out there sometime next year.

I have had my skills assessed in the uk as part of my 189 visa. I have read allot of topics on here about obtaining a WA electrical license.

Could anyone give me some info on the next steps I need to take to get my WA license and is there anything I can do here in the uk, to prepare myself or speed up the process for when I get there next year???

Thanks!

The only thing you can do before you arrive is apply for your provisional license from energy safety which you should do as you cant start work/gap training without it. You need to book a 2 week gap training course $2000. Fill out a logbook, pass a LOT of homework at 100%, do a 1 week comms course, $200, Then when all that is complete you can sit a 4 day trade test . After that you pay vetassess another $140 and they send out a cert 3 which you can take to energy safety and pay $360 to get an electrical license. The whole process will take around a year, maybe longer depending on the availabilty of courses,tests etc. It does seem to be very hard to get jobs here now. I have completed it all as i was one of the first on this crap system but i still cant find a better job now with a license. I have noticed job adverts saying 2 years WA exp and one job i applied for wont recruit me as they want citizens first( I know this because a friend works for the HR) so even PR is discriminated against here. Don't believe the crap you hear about jobs a plenty here. I see a lot of people arriving now and struggling. Make sure you can afford to support yourself without work.

Edited by colinmaclec

Thanks for the reply mate. I know you have to work as a trade assistant until you gain your license. Is there many jobs for trade assistants out there. What is the process of applying for trade assistant positions. Do you apply for electricians positions and hope they will take you on as a trade assistant. It will initially be only one income we will be surviving on, as the other half will have a young one to look after. What are the rates for trade assistants? I have looked at rental prices for houses around perth and most seem to be around $500 Pw. Just trying to work out what wage is needed to survive? Sorry for all the questions, as you probably know yourself there are many when going through the emigration process!

Thanks

Will

I have never really heard of trade assistant jobs apart from the mines and if you really were employed as a TA you would be unable to fill the logbook. You would apply for electricians jobs although things are really slowing down here now. Rate of pay is hit and miss you could be as low as $25. I would be very careful about coming here at the moment. Lot of guys currently doing gap training so companies will only have so many sparks without a full license at once and plenty sparks out of work too.

Thanks for the advice mate. Do you think it is like this all over oz or just in WA? Basically I've just been invited to apply for my visa, this is when I have to make the payment for the visa, which for me and my girlfriend is currently $6000. It's allot of money to part with if I get out there and it's that hard to find work. Plus all the other costs of relocating. Why do you think there are so many sparks out of work, is it because there are to many Brit sparks out there now?

There is stuff all work in wa at the moment. I'm a plumber, been here 6 yrs and I have only worked 6 weeks since the start of the year.

It's up to people to decide what do about coming here but I know all employers look for local experience when employing people.

I suggest you have a look a the Electricians thread there is a lot of information that will assist you with all the States of Australia. As we have State Governments you would need a State licence for the State you decide to live in, some States are transferable and others may not be. My father was an electrician and he had an A Grade Contractors Licence and high voltage but he never had a licence in Vic, every State except Vic because Vic was something else then and I don't think its changed much.

Hi Will

I can only advise on our experience but as the above post say it's not easy. My husband got his PR state sponsored visa as a Electrician Special class we have been here nearly 6 months now and he is still waiting for his WA license . He has been lucky and got temp work but he is bored and unhappy with his job I have also been able to find part-time work or we would have not been able to stay we also have 3 girls to support and we are all struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel but we are here and we are giving it our best.

Best of luck with your plans

Donna

Ok thanks Chris, when you have had work out there, how does it compare to what you earn back in the uk, can you afford a better lifestyle or is it similar to what you could afford in the uk.

Thanks.

Will

I usually work fifo so yes the money is better but when working around Perth the money is pretty bad. All the employers want to pay as little as possible.

I'm from Ireland so the hourly Perth rate is about the same as I was getting at home but its more expensive here and there is never a long run of work. So I am constantly on the look out for a new job and never feel secure.

To be honest I am only here because there is no work in Ireland and I'm not going home to sign on the dole. If there was work at home I would be go back.

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still intent on making the move, I don't think anything is going to put me off. I not expecting it to be easy but hopefully over time things will get better. I hope it all works out for you and your family. As you said, you have to give it a good go first.

Can you advice on any nice places to live in and around perth?

Will