Furniture Advice

Jonord1

Hi - more advice required please. We're after suggestions for furniture shopping. We are after a dining table, beds and other living room furniture. We don't want to spend big on an ideal home exhibition, we have two toddlers, but don't want tat either. Suggestions?

Guest Ptp113

Canberra Times. All embassy staff get a furniture allowance on arrival and buy top quality everything. They dump it when posted home. Consequently Canberra has the highest quality used furniture in the country with some amazing buys to be had. Ask me how I know?

Canberra Times. All embassy staff get a furniture allowance on arrival and buy top quality everything. They dump it when posted home. Consequently Canberra has the highest quality used furniture in the country with some amazing buys to be had. Ask me how I know?

True - I too managed a to get a great set of garden furniture courtesy of the US Embassy

Hi - more advice required please. We're after suggestions for furniture shopping. We are after a dining table, beds and other living room furniture. We don't want to spend big on an ideal home exhibition, we have two toddlers, but don't want tat either. Suggestions?

Head out to Fyshwick on the east side of town near the airport and various parts of that are wall to wall furniture shops. If you want cheap and cheerful (probably too cheap for my wife but it worked for me) try Fantastic Furniture (15-19 Albany St, Fyshwick ACT 2609, http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au/).

There were a lot of cheap/mid-range places on Gladstone St in Fyshwick and if you are looking for something better then there were several up market places all around Fantastic Furniture or amongst the dozen or so stores in the home furnishing side of the DFO Canberra complex (cnr of Canberra Av and Newcastle St)

Failling that try Queanbeyan - most things are cheaper there.

Okay, I'll bite. How do you know?

Very grateful. Thank you

You're welcome - I should probably should have mentioned that the stock standard places for furniture are Harvey Norman (big store on Barrier Street in Fyshwick as well as in most shopping centres) plus the two main Australian departments stores, Myers and David Jones (also in most shopping centres), both are John Lewis equivalents so nice stuff and correspondingly pricey.

ikea is the best, really cheap, I got loads of my things from there (but I am from Melbourne, so not sure where you nearest ikea is). Harvey norman, myers and david jones have good quality stuff but you will pay lots of money. my suggestion go to ikea. here in Melbourne they will deliver everything as well for you at a small cost, so I am sure they will do the same where you live. good luck :-) x

ikea is the best, really cheap, I got loads of my things from there (but I am from Melbourne, so not sure where you nearest ikea is). Harvey norman, myers and david jones have good quality stuff but you will pay lots of money. my suggestion go to ikea. here in Melbourne they will deliver everything as well for you at a small cost, so I am sure they will do the same where you live. good luck :-) x

....for those of us in Canberra, our local IKEA is in Sydney...

Strange you ask this question becasue i have just asked someone in work the same thing!

He said fantastic furniture. I will probably use them for a bed for my spare room.

However Gumtree is a good place to look. Much bigger in Australia then in the UK.

I already got 2 perfect laptops and a Portable Air Con Unit. Cheap as chips.

I also need patio furniture so will be keeping my eyes peeled.

I found the second hand furniture shop in Fyshwick to have a great range, but was eye wateringly expensive. We still ended up buying things from them tho. Gumtree has been our best resource. Also, AllClassifieds.com.au and the For Sale/Wanted Facebook groups.

I found the second hand furniture shop in Fyshwick to have a great range, but was eye wateringly expensive. We still ended up buying things from them tho. Gumtree has been our best resource. Also, AllClassifieds.com.au and the For Sale/Wanted Facebook groups.

Any charity shops selling furniture like the British Hearth Foundation in the UK?

thank you, we'll check them out

When we first arrived (and were waiting for our container) we bought three sofas from the Salvos in Fyshwick (which is probably the largest charity shop in Canberra) - came to $1200 + delivery. I was more than a little taken aback! Cheap it was not.

Salvos fyshwick and phillip, mixed bag but we bought an awesome comfy chair for $40. Best buy EVER.

Fantastic furniture in Fyshwick seems to be the closest option to Ikea, it's not *that* cheap but it's not disastrous and they'll do packages. There's a bunch of furniture stores down the Home Hub at DFO as well.

Archived