I want to join QLD Police - Anyone taken medical - Im colour blind so need some feed back

Mojacar

Hello,

I am in the process on getting myself ready for the first exam to join the QLD Police, after reading up on the medical it appears you have to under go a colour test - I am colour blind and wanting to know if anyone had taken the medical and what was involved?

I know you can buy tinted contacts which help define the colours - anyone used these?

Thank you in advance and look forward to any kind of feed back/info.

Cheers.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I've sent you a pm mate, with contact of a current serving police officer in Queensland, he only posts once every so often, so you might have to wait awhile, best of luck.

Hey Hoffy, you forgot to add that I am a great bloke as well ;-)

Hi Mojacar.You have to have a medical before you even apply and this medical has to be paid by yourself. I cant remember if there was a colour blind test but give medibank a ring and ask them. Are you a copper already and where are you situated. Its a good time at the moment to apply as there are looking for loads of officers with the G20 happening in Brisbane next year.

JOHN

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hey Hoffy, you forgot to add that I am a great bloke as well ;-)

Hi Mojacar.You have to have a medical before you even apply and this medical has to be paid by yourself. I cant remember if there was a colour blind test but give medibank a ring and ask them. Are you a copper already and where are you situated. Its a good time at the moment to apply as there are looking for loads of officers with the G20 happening in Brisbane next year.

JOHN

Sorry about not singing your praises, I didn't want to embarass you buddy, lol

I know wa police have a colour blind test. But there are many levels of colour blindness so it may be worth applying just to see. I have have a mate who is colour blind and got his elect cert in Queensland, so anything may be possible. They probably have a website with the minimum requirements.

Found this on the recruit website:

Vision

Applicants must have a corrected binocular visual accuracy of 6/6 and a corrected acuity of 6/9 in the better eye. If you wear glasses or contact lenses, the assessment is made while you are wearing your corrective lenses. If you have one weak eye that does not correct to 6/6, you may still be eligible provided you can pass a practical test of depth and speed perception. Additionally, visual acuity in the weaker eye, unaided, should be 6/36.Applicants who have had laser eye surgery (such as Lasik) must wait three months before being accepted as a recruit to rule out any risk of complications. The QPS standard on colour vision does not require perfect responses to colour vision perception, however the Service requires a good standard of colour vision perception of distinct colours, as opposed to the perception of shades.An applicant must meet the genuine and reasonable requirements of a police officer and perform duties such as:

• Pursuit in a motor vehicle
  • Identifying people and objects
  • Giving credible and reliable evidence of identification
  • Identifying colour-coded signs, and
  • Identifying a target correctly when firearms are being used.

Colour vision will be tested at the time of your medical examination. If you already know that you are colour blind to any degree, it may be advisable to take the following steps before proceeding further with your application. If you are uncertain, most optometrists offer colour vision testing as part of the bulk-billed eye examination. If an applicant or possible applicant has a colour vision medical issue, they can have an Ishihara Plate Test completed by the Pre-Employment Medical Service (PEMS) provider or an optometrist.Applicants can also attend the

QPS Recruiting Centre, Brisbane and undertake a practical colour vision test - contact Police Recruiting for further details!An applicant identified as a protan or deuteranope will not meet the QPS standards. In circumstances where the applicant is identified as deutranomalous, that applicant will undertake a colour assessment by the PEMS provider. If applicants are able to identify distinct colours, as opposed to shades, they will meet the QPS standard. If the test is borderline, a practical test will need to be administered.

http://www.policerecruit.qld.gov.au/recruitEntry/preentry/Medical.htm

My husband is a current serving Qld police officer and did the PACE program in January so is up to date with current requirements. There is a standard colour blindness test (ISHIHARA), you don't have to get 100%, but you do have to achieve the minimum standards. He recommends that you go to your GP/Optician and have a go at test? Best of luck.

I was thinking about joining next year. is there much difference in paper work compared to uk bobby work?

The amount of paperwork is the same, the application slightly different. The level of self-justification and bureaucracy is actually slightly worse over here. It's not as busy overall though and the money is better.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have my ability entrance exam in a few weeks, so I will take that and see how I go. Then, I guess the colour corrective lenses could be the only way forward. I have heard that a few people have used the lenses to pass the military medical checks. Hope they work!!!

Thanks again :)

• 1 month later...

Archived