Moving to the Gold Coast in September, general questions

Dawn2002

Hi there,

We are moving to the Gold Coast in September, my husband is an aussie so we are staying with family at first. We have two children a girl 3 1/2 and a boy 1 1/2, we are pretty keen on getting them into a nursery soonish. Does anyone have any info on nurseries around the Burgleigh Heads/Robina sort of area ? And how do we get our daughter into pre school ? Also does anyone know how the child benefit/child care rebate work ? I've looked on the websites and find it all a bit confusing.

Also another one, any general ideas on cost of living e.g cost of a weekly shop for a family of four would be much appreciated, we've heard an awful lot about food being very expensive over there.

Thanks so much everyone.

Hi and welcome to PIO.

With the benefit, your best to pop into a branch of Centrelink once your here and they will tell you what you can and cant get, it may be different to migrants as your hubbie is Aussie.

You will find private child care centers everywhere down there, best to find a rental house and look around the local Kindys and the nearest school for your prep child. Some Kindys do have waiting lists ,so bear that in mind. I would ask around other parents in the area you settle and see if they can tell you any too avoid, or highly recommended places.

Lots of luck with everything, your arriving to a lovely area.

Cal x

Thanks Cal,

Both the Children are Australian Citizens, just me who only has the one passport, My husband grew up on the coast, but he hasn't lived there for 20 years or so, so we only have his parents to go on. I'm on a permanent spouse visa. I'll visit centrelink when we sort ourselves out.

Dawn

Hi Dawn2002,

I can't really help but jus wanted to say hi. We are moving mid October. We (me hubby an 3 kids) are staying on mermaid beach when we first arrive but hoping to settle in Burleigh heads (if my hubby gets a job )

wokos x

Can't comment on the most part of that, but food wise, if you shop around I think you can shop for a family of four for $100-$150 per week, as long as you meal plan for every ingredient and buy fruit and veg loose. It costs me $70 a week and I am a pretty good bargain hunter and never buy more than I will eat or need. That's only about five pounds more a week than the UK.

Can't comment on the most part of that, but food wise, if you shop around I think you can shop for a family of four for $100-$150 per week, as long as you meal plan for every ingredient and buy fruit and veg loose. It costs me $70 a week and I am a pretty good bargain hunter and never buy more than I will eat or need. That's only about five pounds more a week than the UK.

Buying Fruit and veg locally grown in season can save you a lot of money too.

In fact Australia makes me eat healthier as i tend to shun the expensive ready meals/pre prepared food

Hi Wokos, hopefully we will be on our way to being settled by then ! I would like to meet up with people as the only friends I have are up in Brissy or in Sydney, with two active young children I was hoping I could get them out in the parks and beaches to play and find others kids to play with.

Hi dawn I have a 13, 6 and 3 year old how areal active. The only people we know are our friends who arrive in brisbane today. That is our feels to. Been looking at the parks and they look fab with lots of activities.

Hi Wokos, I'd agree there seems to be small parks all over the shot, plus Burgleigh is not to far from the beach either, also it would be nice to spend time with people who aren't my inlaws or their friends, (not that my inlaws are the annoying type), currently sitting in waiting for our shipping boxes to be delivered and getting V excited, yet nervous at the same time. So much to organise in such a shot space of time.

Archived