Jump to content

TRA or Vetasses?????


Recommended Posts

Don't know if this helps..


Previously referred to in ASCO as:

4411-11 Carpenter and Joiner

4411-01 Carpentry and Joinery Tradespersons - Supervisor

On this page

Job description

Skill level

Program eligibility

Skills assessment authority

Licensing or registration requirements

Professional associations



Job description

Constructs and installs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, and cuts, shapes and fits timber parts to form structures and fittings.

Skill level

This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience in Australia of AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3).

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on the job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

If you require further information on this occupation, please refer to the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

See: Unit Group 3312 - Carpenters and Joiners

Information on the skill level of each occupation is consistent with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and may differ from the requirements set by the assessing authorities for obtaining a skills assessment. Please contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation to check on their requirements.

Program eligibility

Applicants in this occupation may be eligible for skilled migration under the following programs: Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS), Points Based Skilled Migration visa, Temporary Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457).


Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)

SkillSelect (Points Based Skilled Migration visa)

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

A skills assessment is only required for certain visa subclasses in the skilled migration program. Please check whether a skills assessment is required for the visa subclass you want to apply for before contacting the relevant assessing authority.

Under the General Skilled Migration program, some occupations may only be available for state or territory government agency nomination. For a complete list of occupations, refer to the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

See: Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i)

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is Trades Recognition Australia.



See: Trades Recognition Australia



If you want to claim points for your qualifications and/or work experience in your nominated or closely related occupation you should forward all the relevant documents to the relevant skills assessing authority. Based on your documents, the assessing authority will provide advice to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship on your qualifications and/or work experience. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications and work experience.

Note: If your qualifications are not in a relevant field to your nominated occupation and you want to claim points, the assessing authority will be unable to provide advice to the department. In these circumstances, the department will make a determination of how many points will be awarded to your qualifications.

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you want to practise your occupation. Contact the local authority in your relevant state or territory to enquire about the licensing or registration requirements.

New South Wales

Licensing is compulsory for unsupervised residential trade work. Licensing is not required for commercial or residential trade work.

Fair Trading

See: Fair Trading


There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Victoria if work is performed on behalf of a licensed practitioner or work does not exceed AUD5000.

Building Commission

See: Building Commission


Licensing is compulsory in order to carry out or supervise building work over the value of AUD3300 (including labour and materials).

Building Services Authority

See: Building Services Authority


There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Tasmania if work is performed on behalf of a licensed practitioner, or work does not exceed AUD5000.

Workplace Standards Tasmania

See: Workplace Standards Tasmania

Northern Territory

Registration is compulsory in order to carry out residential building work over the value of AUD12 000.

Building Practitioners Board

See: Building Practitioners Board

Australian Capital Territory

There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in the ACT if work is performed on behalf of a licensed practitioner, or work does not exceed AUD5000.

ACT Planning and Land Authority

See: Australian Capital Territory Planning and Land Authority

Professional associations

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation. The following professional associations could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

Master Builders Australia

See: Master Builders Australia

Housing Industry Association

See: Housing Industry Association

Master Plumbers Association of New South Wales

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a carpenter....who do I submit payment,application and documents to???


someone on here said was tra, now I think I should be sending to vetasses???






We've just done all that stuff for my hubby who is also a carpenter. Just got allocated a case officer so hoping for a visa grant soon. U need to submit all of ur documents to vetassess. If u have any more questions drop me a pm :-)



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I am not surprised you are confused, because I have just read up and the immigration website points me to TRA website and then when I got there it re confirmed that TRA was correct for UK passport holders. Then I went to vetassess because of previous post and it also confirms that they are the correct skills assessing body for UK passport holders.. puzzling

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...