Flying our beloved dog to MEL

FranG

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone can give me any recommendations of a UK based company to transport our pooch to Mel. We move in Oct and he will be travelling 10w later (so we can find rental).

Would like it to be a smooth as possible. Does anyone also know where MEL quarantine is located as we will be visiting weekly (hopefully)

Thanks in advance,

Hi Fran

We are moving to Melbourne in September and will be taking our two dogs with us. I am not sure which company we are using, but if my wife sees this thread I am sure she will update you. The company we are going with are based in Shropshire and have been very good with us. The total cost of shipping, quarantine and all the jabs etc is coming in at about £4,500 for the two of them.

I presume you have all the rabies checks and stuff done already so the dog does not need to stay in quarantine too long? We have it organised so they only need to be in quarantine for 30 days which is great. We are also sending them straight away and aim to find a rental within 4 weeks.

We have decided that we will not visit our dogs when they are in quarantine as we worried that if we do go and see them it would upset them again when we left, so we have decided that although we would obviously love to go and give them a wee cuddle we are not going to do that. I think we can arrange for a dog walker to go and see them and take them out to make sure they are getting some interaction.

As far as I am aware the Melbourne quarantine station is nearish to the main airport, but I could be wrong.

Good luck brining the dogs. It is very expensive! More than it is costing us to ship all of our stuff!

Thanks so much for the replies. Good to know that the quarantine isn't to far so we can go and visit. Pom Queen, thanks will have a good read later. Will feel so much better about it with a recommendation!

Crozierfamily- we travelled with our little pooch before from UK-Brisbane. He was only 9 months then so he's well travelled. Quarantine is in SYD I believe (this was in 2007) so we couldn't visit anyway and I did feel the same as you. I didn't want to upset him by going only once or twice in 4 weeks. We have our first vets appointment tomo so I expect they will give us plan of action. I think quarantine is only 30 days anyway if all done correctly. As we are in MEL I can go very often to see him. Everyday if I need. Just to reassure him he'll be ok! So sad we are doing this to him again but hopefully we will stay this time.

Its nice your dogs will have each other for company. Thanks again.

Our two are booked in with Pet Air. Catherine is looking after us all at the moment and has been brilliant.

We are paying just short of £3800 for both dogs and this is for their Gold Service, which means all paperwork is prepared by Catherine and the pooches are collected on the day of their flight from my Mum's house and taken to Heathrow and checked in.

You only have to read their facebook page to see how many owners are delighted with their service and they regularly put updates and photos showing how the dogs and cats are before/after their journey.

It's certainly not an easy decision for any of us. I often look at my two and think oh dear, I am going to be enemy numero uno:frown:

We too used Golden Arrow for shipping our two. They say you will see how good a company is if there is problems. Our problems weren't with the dogs but the fact that just as they were about to fly Qantas changed there route and Perth quarantine closed due to bushfires.

i was pretty stressed seeing as we were already here and felt a bit helpless. Anyway Golden Arrow took care of it all, found new flights and had them sent to Sydney instead. They also boarded them 3 days prior to the flight at no extra charge.

hope all your pooches enjoy their new homes, ours are loving it.

Thanks so much for the replies. Good to know that the quarantine isn't to far so we can go and visit. Pom Queen, thanks will have a good read later. Will feel so much better about it with a recommendation!

Crozierfamily- we travelled with our little pooch before from UK-Brisbane. He was only 9 months then so he's well travelled. Quarantine is in SYD I believe (this was in 2007) so we couldn't visit anyway and I did feel the same as you. I didn't want to upset him by going only once or twice in 4 weeks. We have our first vets appointment tomo so I expect they will give us plan of action. I think quarantine is only 30 days anyway if all done correctly. As we are in MEL I can go very often to see him. Everyday if I need. Just to reassure him he'll be ok! So sad we are doing this to him again but hopefully we will stay this time.

It is a really difficult decision to make around visiting or not. I think going to see them everyday may be worse still as they have to go through being left without us so often, I would be concerned that would put even more stresss on them. We are just going to leave them alone so they do not have the ups and downs, as I think they will come to terms with being on their own for a while and I don't want to upset that. Obviously not trying to tell you what to do, you have more experience than I do at this. This is the most difficult part of moving for us for sure.

I would consider carefully about visiting too often (if at all) during the quarantine.

Your dog is not going to understand you keep visiting for a short time and then going away and leaving them behind again. It would be more confusing than not seeing you at all for the month. I generally think they do better if they are left to it and perhaps you visit once or twice or arrange for a dog walker to visit them on the visiting days.

You're only allowed 2 visits a week at Spotswood. My dog and 2 cats will be inmates from 13th September. Flying with Golden Arrpw who've been great so far. I'm still not sure whether to visit or not because I know I'll feel absolutely gutted leaving them and they'll probably pick up on it. 30 days isn't so bad so everyone says..........:confused:

You're only allowed 2 visits a week at Spotswood. My dog and 2 cats will be inmates from 13th September. Flying with Golden Arrpw who've been great so far. I'm still not sure whether to visit or not because I know I'll feel absolutely gutted leaving them and they'll probably pick up on it. 30 days isn't so bad so everyone says..........:confused:

If you can manage it, wait the 30 days and see them when they can come out and stay with you. Not popping in for half an hour and then sending them back to their kennel again. IMHO and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked with people who have used http://www.jetpets.com.au but not sure of which countries they service.

Spotswood is about 30 to 40 minutes from the airport depending on the time of day you travel.

Some of my clients have said that they don't want to visit their dogs for fear of causing extra anxiety in the dogs. But that might be to do with how the owners feel on leaving the pets as much as how much separation anxiety the dog itself would naturally suffer.

I find that about after an hour of visiting, most dogs, even working dogs, seem to have gotten what they need - some extra sun and chance to stretch their legs. They are much more subdued when I return them to their pens.

The choice of whether an owner visits might be as much to do with their own emotional concerns as well as the difficulty that you can have trying to get time of work, or wading through the traffic. That said, I am making good friends with a breeder based on the peninsula in SA. He travels about 600 km each way, each week just to see the German shepherd he has imported from Germany.

That said, I would probably be very sad in seeing my dog in aqis and would no doubt stress him on leaving.

Its all personal choice I guess. Good luck !

Hey OP

Key thing is no matter who you use to make sure you have got the rabies work in order, so many people forget to do this and their pets are stuck in UK way after they need to be. Rabies vaccination 6-12 months before you want them to go and rabies blood sample at least 5 months before.

Regarding the pet shippers - definitely speak to people. you get a much better idea of them by chatting to them on the phone. There are lots of really good pet shippers in UK. Golden Arrow are great, Petair are great (obviously because that is my company), but also read the feedback on here too, that helps.

Also definitely read the quotes you have been sent. People often just see a number of pounds and then dot really realise what is included and what is not. People often say Golden Arrow are cheaper, but they generally dont include as much as Petair does (this definitely happened to at least two clients who i chatted to), so really read through what has been included and what has not. You can also get the shippers who literally just do the flight and you do everything else. Generally, it is only a little bit more expensive to use a shipper who does it all for you and then it is one less thing to worry about. That said, find a pet shipper who is close to you and go and visit them, see the crates see the base and make sure you are happy with them.

There are no "bad" pet shippers in UK, so find the one you trust the best and go with that.

Bob

Archived