Arranging accommodation in Sydney from the UK

jasoncheesemanuk

Hi again (my second post),

So you are moving your family over from the UK, how did you sort out accommodation when you arrived? I hear that rentals are in short supply so how did you arrange it? I'm totally lost on this and am looking for people's experiences in doing this.

Thanks in advance.

We arranged our accommodation through a relocation agent. We were moving over during the Australian summer holidays, and I wasn't able to find anything in the area that we needed and for a price we could afford. It worked out cheaper (for us, anyway) to pay a relocation agent to sort out a long term rental whilst we were still in the UK. She viewed the properties, took loads of photos which she emailed, and then she gave us her opinion, negotiated with the landlord/rental agency in terms of the rent and what was included, and then she sorted out our paperwork.

We arranged our accommodation through a relocation agent. We were moving over during the Australian summer holidays, and I wasn't able to find anything in the area that we needed and for a price we could afford. It worked out cheaper (for us, anyway) to pay a relocation agent to sort out a long term rental whilst we were still in the UK. She viewed the properties, took loads of photos which she emailed, and then she gave us her opinion, negotiated with the landlord/rental agency in terms of the rent and what was included, and then she sorted out our paperwork.

Thanks LKC. That's really interesting. I didn't know there were any relocation agents. Would you mind sharing their details?

Thanks LKC. That's really interesting. I didn't know there were any relocation agents. Would you mind sharing their details?

Hi jasoncheesemanuk - I have relocation services and handle all of this type of 'stuff'. Renting in Sydney is difficult if yo udon't have a job or full rent payment in advance.

Are you coming over on a 457 or as a permanent resident? Let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

We used a company called Elite Executive Services. They were fairly pricey (from memory, I don't remember the exact cost), but because our move was fairly quick, and we were moving over the Australian summer holiday period I couldn't find temporary accommodation anywhere near to where we wanted - this isn't really a holiday sort of area. It made more sense to me, to pay someone to arrange a rental, than have to pay to stay in a location that didn't fit with where my OH would be working (he started pretty much straight away), and have to then deal with finding a rental myself, with our one and two year old daughters in tow. They also sorted out furniture hire, met us at the property on moving in day and arranged connection of all of the services, and she did an information file for the area that we were in, with details of shopping, doctors, schools etc.

• 3 months later...

Archived