North Sydney versus Central Coast

jasoncheesemanuk

Moving to Australia next year and doing research nearly every night. Going over blind as my daughter has moved to Adelaide and I'm following her over but I will have to work in Sydney as I have more chance of securing a job there.

I'm looking for some advice.

In the UK, I mainly travel to London which takes me 10 mins walk, 45 min train ride, 10/15 min walk or taxi ride. Other days I drive 35 miles which can take 1hr 15 mins (motorway, but hard slog). I don't mind either journey but it's enough and I also work from home 1-2 days per week.

Anyway, I'm a bit stumped. I originally fancied living near Terrigal Beach or going towards Gosford. But I'm concerned about the commute to North Ryde which is probably where I will end up working. The houses are reasonably priced ($700k) but if the commute is a mare then it will turn my Aussie dream into a nightmare.

I then started looking at Frenchs Forest / Mona Vale as the commute would be a lot shorter but the house prices are at the top of my range ($1m).

Perhaps there is something in the middle? Reasonable commute (40 mins to an hour) and $800k housing - 4/5 Bedroom. I would love to be 15 minutes away from the beach also.

Any advice help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately 4-5 bed houses within that commuting distance and near the beach come with a big price tag in Sydney. I don't think there is anything that fits the bill. If you look at a map up the coast, you will see the northern beaches end and next is the central coast, there is nothing inbetween. Obviously further from beach becomes cheaper.

Guest littlesarah

Terrigal is far enough from the railway & F3 to add at least 20 min to your commute. You could consider suburbs closer to both, or else really you're looking at Hornsby & surrounds.

Terrigal is far enough from the railway & F3 to add at least 20 min to your commute. You could consider suburbs closer to both, or else really you're looking at Hornsby & surrounds.

I suppose what I'm really looking for is an idea of the commute from Gosford down to North Ryde. Either by train or by car. On Google Maps it looks about 60km & 50 minutes. If so, then that is do-able as that is much like my UK commute.

Guest littlesarah
I suppose what I'm really looking for is an idea of the commute from Gosford down to North Ryde. Either by train or by car. On Google Maps it looks about 60km & 50 minutes. If so, then that is do-able as that is much like my UK commute.

http://www.131500.com.au has a journey planner that you could use to work out what your commute time would be using public transport.

I don't commute to Sydney for work, so I can't really help you with journey times, I'm afraid. The traffic at Wahroonga is usually pretty bad at peak times, that much I do know.

I use to live just north of hornsby and commute into N Sydney (I now live in Adelaide)

Look in places like Mt Colah, Kuringai, and Berowra. You are right on the end of the local train services so 30min to N Ryde and certainly at berowra you'll get under your budget.

Once you go past berowra to Brooklyn, gosford, etc, its only two trains an hour (max) but you change at Hornsby so still manageable.

It's a beautiful part of the world, right on the bush edge with fantastic parks and waterways.

Archived