Registering with a Doctor

jim shorts

Hi All...

Im struggling to find any information about how to register with a doctor here in Perth Australia. Just arrived with a PR visa and I need to see a doctor to get some more inhalers for my asthma. I have my medicare card, but no idea how to find a GP or clinic.

Any Guidance would be really appreciated.

Jim

You could probably find GP's in your area if you do a google search and put in the suburb, or alternatively if you found a pharmacy, they would probably be able to point you in the right direction. You don't register with a doctor as such like you do in the UK, you can see whomever you want, providing they are accepting new patients.

You don't register with a doctor in Australia. You just make an appointment with any GP who takes your fancy.

Some clinics don't take new patients because they are so busy but that is the only restriction.

So just phone any clinic which is convenient to your home or work.

Hi All...

Im struggling to find any information about how to register with a doctor here in Perth Australia. Just arrived with a PR visa and I need to see a doctor to get some more inhalers for my asthma. I have my medicare card, but no idea how to find a GP or clinic.

Any Guidance would be really appreciated.

Jim

Depending on what you need you may not even have to go to the Doctor. Salbutamol (eg Ventolin) is available over the counter here, so you would be able to just go to the pharmacy. For preventer medications you would need to see a GP for a script though and of course it is recommended that you see a GP to review your asthma and update asthma action plan regularly.

As long as the practice is taking new patients just make an appointment, tell them you are new patient and they will make a long appointment. Some bulk bill some don't.

I am registered with a few practices, there is no requirement for us to stay with the same doc. If you do not like one practice just find another. Its doctor of our choice here. They are not paid by the government directly.

• 1 year later...

Hello, just following on from this.... Of you have a choice of doctors do I need to request my uk health records to be sent across or to request a leaving file from my doctor when I leave uk in a few weeks or is this not necessary a there is not one gp you register with/would hold your file etc? Some of the todo lists say about requesting medical records from doctors and opticians and such like but I'm not sure in reality whether it's required?!? Any advice appreciated :)

Hello, just following on from this.... Of you have a choice of doctors do I need to request my uk health records to be sent across or to request a leaving file from my doctor when I leave uk in a few weeks or is this not necessary a there is not one gp you register with/would hold your file etc? Some of the todo lists say about requesting medical records from doctors and opticians and such like but I'm not sure in reality whether it's required?!? Any advice appreciated :)

Unless you have a particular medical condition that requires constant monitoring/medication I wouldn't bother taking medical records with you.

We're paying £10 each for a basic printout of our records.

It's got details of every time we've seen the Dr and the main reason of visit (i.e. Tonsilitus). It's also got the results of all blood tests done and correspondence between GP and hospital. All vaccinations are on there. It's a lot more thorough than I thought it would be, and I will pass it on in the future if I should ever need to see a Dr in Australia.

Archived