Skill Assessment - Accountant

pvtparty

Hi,

By way of introduction, I am a CA in India working with a Big4 and have applied for assessment with CPA Australia under General Accountant. Further, CPA Australia has asked me to complete the theory exam. I read a similar post in this regard, wherein it was stated that they will not consider my work experience prior to the examination. Please note that my work experience will not match the External Auditor nomination and I currently have 55 points. I will really appreciate, if anyone who has faced the similar problem in the past, can guide me.

Many thanks in advance for your kind co-operation. I will really appreciate your help.

Thank & regards

I don't know why people get their skills assessed with CPA. ICAA is the way to go.

I am CA Pakistan and had the same outcome from CPA as well as IPA before I changed my occupation to External Auditor. I guess if you have B.Com together with CA, u r too good to qualify as Accountant and if u r in Audit dept of Big 4, you may easily nominate External Auditor as your occupation.

I was unable to get 60 points so I applied to NSW 4 SS and got the remaining points. If you do not have B.Com or u do not work in Audit dept of Big 4, I would advise to change your nominated occupation to External Auditor, CPA will do it free of cost, and apply for NSW state nomination.

Hi,

By way of introduction, I am a CA in India working with a Big4 and have applied for assessment with CPA Australia under General Accountant. Further, CPA Australia has asked me to complete the theory exam. I read a similar post in this regard, wherein it was stated that they will not consider my work experience prior to the examination. Please note that my work experience will not match the External Auditor nomination and I currently have 55 points. I will really appreciate, if anyone who has faced the similar problem in the past, can guide me.

Many thanks in advance for your kind co-operation. I will really appreciate your help.

Thank & regards

What qualification/s do you have?

You must have a qualification equivalent to an Australian degree in Accounting to be eligible for a positive migration skills assessment as an Accountant.

Best regards.

Hi Alan - I have a Bachelor of Commerce Degree, but as per CPA, I need to clear an exam "Accounting Theory". I am little reluctant in giving the exams, as people have advised that CPA will not consider my work experience since i have just completed my qualification. Can you confirm my understanding. Thanks

Pre-qualification/articleship experience is not counted. Did you forward your B.Com degree along with CA to CPA in the initial assessment. You know what? My case was exactly the same as yours, i.e. Negative Assessment CPA and IPA for Accountant, Pre-qualification experience of Big 4 but only 2 years of post-qualification, and then I changed to External Auditor and know awaiting CO to be allocated.

Alan: Pakistani and Indian CAs are equivalent to Australian Bachelor Degree but they are unable to fulfill one mandatory core knowledge area "Accounting Theory" for Accountant but not for Finance Manager or External Auditor. Apart from this, CAs do 11/12 core knowledge areas.

Did you not undertake accounting theory as part of your degree?

I would carefully consider your degree components against the requirements of your nominated occupation - the ICAA's guidance material on what your qualification should have encompassed is here:

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/Recognised-accounting-qualifications

Best regards.

Hi Alan - we covered most of the accounting theory in different exams. Further, in my case the skill assessment letter proposed to give the accounting theory exam and when I enrolled for the membership, they issued a letter stating that I do not need to give the exam. When I confronted them, they said it was an inadvertent error and re-issued me a letter.

Pre-qualification/articleship experience is not counted. Did you forward your B.Com degree along with CA to CPA in the initial assessment. You know what? My case was exactly the same as yours, i.e. Negative Assessment CPA and IPA for Accountant, Pre-qualification experience of Big 4 but only 2 years of post-qualification, and then I changed to External Auditor and know awaiting CO to be allocated.

Alan: Pakistani and Indian CAs are equivalent to Australian Bachelor Degree but they are unable to fulfill one mandatory core knowledge area "Accounting Theory" for Accountant but not for Finance Manager or External Auditor. Apart from this, CAs do 11/12 core knowledge areas.

I agree we have a similar case, but I have a work experience of 3 years but not as an auditor, I was counting on these 5 points (work experience) to sail through... but hard luck...

Hi Alan - we covered most of the accounting theory in different exams. Further, in my case the skill assessment letter proposed to give the accounting theory exam and when I enrolled for the membership, they issued a letter stating that I do not need to give the exam. When I confronted them, they said it was an inadvertent error and re-issued me a letter.

So you have your skills assessment already ... ?

If you have not locked in your visa strategy, your points entitlement, and your nominated occupation why did you apply for a migration skills assessment?

Best regards.

As per my understanding my points were, 30 - Age, 10 - IELTS, 5 - work experience and 15- for my education, in total 60 points. I have relevant work experience as an accountant. But CPA assessed my qualification stating that I have to give the Accounting Theory exam, which as per me I have already covered in my CA and Bachelor degree, however, CPA disagrees.

My confusion is if I give the exam and obtain a favorable assessment now, then will my work experience be counted? Many forums and google research suggest that Authorities may not consider it since I have just completed my qualification, though it is only one exam.

I have to admit that I also have some doubts regarding my qualifications, in my case the Accounting Systems and Processes is missing from the official papers. Alan, do these knowledge areas have to be worded exactly (and separately) like that on the supplement to the diploma?

I have to admit that I also have some doubts regarding my qualifications, in my case the Accounting Systems and Processes is missing from the official papers. Alan, do these knowledge areas have to be worded exactly (and separately) like that on the supplement to the diploma?

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/191599-skill-assessment-accountant.html#post1936280671

As per my previous reply!

Best regards.

Sorry to be if no real help but I went through ICAA and did not need to sit any tests. However, my first Skill Assessment was also rejected on the basis that my education did not contain Accounting Theory. It is not logical that you could study all those other core knowledge areas without studying accounting theory, I assumed it was a back handed way of them limiting the number of skills assessments/visas issued and even if seemingly unfair it is their rules to make up. Luckily my second submission was accepted so don't worry I'm sure it'll be ok. All the best.

Hey Grahamffc - by second submission you mean, you filed for appeal against the assessment received or you filed the assessment with some other authority.

Hi pvtparty, I think it was technically called a 'request for further information', and I had to pay another fee and an initial rejection to all intensive purposes. I contacted one of my lecturers from university who fortunately still worked there. He wrote a letter on university headed paper which explained that the modules I studied had covered accounting theory. I think he took the suggestion that his course did not cover the basics as a bit of an insult, plus he'd worked as an Auditor in Australia for 5 years himself so was willing to help me. From the university I was also able to obtain the module guides which were far more detailed (each about 30 A4 pages) than the list of modules and module summaries (each about 2 paragraphs) I had initially sent.

If you already hold a professional qualification it's insane that they would say it is not good enough...CPA has a total of five exams with pass rates between 70%-80%, ACCA has a total 14 exams with pass rates between 30%-50%! Sorry not helpful, just an observation I wanted to share.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I am looking to find out the cost of the skills assessment at CPA, but I cannot locate the information on their website http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/cpa-site/hs.xsl/become-how-migration.html

I've successfully found the link at ICAA: http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/Fees-and-processing-times

Can anybody help with this? Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Hey thanks for your help.. I dont think my University will do all that. anyways thanks for your help.

Hi Levi,

I have just had my assessment result back from CPA. The fees are dependent on where you are applying from. When I applied (June 2013) the fees were as follows:

Australia AUD$490 (GST inclusive)

New Zealand NZD$605 (NZ GST inclusive)

Any other location AUD$445

So I paid $445, but not sure what that would be in Sterling as I paid in dollars.

Hi everybody,

I am looking to find out the cost of the skills assessment at CPA, but I cannot locate the information on their website http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/cpa-site/hs.xsl/become-how-migration.html

I've successfully found the link at ICAA: http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/Fees-and-processing-times

Can anybody help with this? Thank you.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/become-a-cpa/migration-assessment/how-to-apply-for-migration-assessment

Click on the above link and download the application form. The fee structure is mentioned in the 8th page.

Archived