Selling belongings

Guest drunkpunkmunkey

Guest drunkpunkmunkey

Well, we're about to make the move back home from Brisbane (mixed feelings).

Can you share your experiences of the best way to sell the usual stuff: car, washing machine, fridge/freezer, beds, mower etc.

We'll be looking to offload the stuff fairly quickly (as we'll be using it up to the last minute), so we're looking for the best route without being 1)ripped off (car dealership etc) or 2) left with stuff we have to throw out.

Currently we're thinking garage sale and/or gumtree......have these worked in your experience?

Thanks

Gumtree seems to get better prices compared with some of the other methods especially for larger items.

For smaller items, especially if you are south of the city, try Brisbane's Someone's Trash is Someone's Treasure (facebook group).

Well, we're about to make the move back home from Brisbane (mixed feelings).

Can you share your experiences of the best way to sell the usual stuff: car, washing machine, fridge/freezer, beds, mower etc.

We'll be looking to offload the stuff fairly quickly (as we'll be using it up to the last minute), so we're looking for the best route without being 1)ripped off (car dealership etc) or 2) left with stuff we have to throw out.

Currently we're thinking garage sale and/or gumtree......have these worked in your experience?

Thanks

Garage sales are usually a great way to get rid of things,,,advertise it as a 'massive moving sale, everything must go", and I would be surprised if they are not banging your door down hours before your sale is due to start.That has worked really well for us, and we have off loaded so much, even big items and got pretty good prices

The other good way, is a local Auction house

This is a great way to off load the bigger items you plan to use till the end

You can take the items down and leave them.Some places will let you put a "reserve " price on, some wont, so make sure you ask , and set decent/realistic reserves if you can

We have ended up, getting more than the items initally cost us to buy on some occassions by doing this

You can just leave the items you want to sell and go

You can then have a cheque posted to you (Even if its to an international address), or you can leave your bank details and they will pay the money (less thier charges), into a bank account

They normally charge a "sellers fee", of about 20% in total, which Yes is a bit steep, but you have no hassle and the items are gone.If they dont sell the first week, they usually reduce the 'reserve" for the following week, and it has been very rare that we havent got rid of items

If you have "knick-knacks", just make up small boxes and they will be sold as "job -lots"

Its always worked really well for us,and I really do recommend it

• 1 month later...

Gumtree seems to be abit better than garage sales and ebay. No fees for one and genuine buyers ( in my experience) I have had loads of garage sales and get so sick of the' second hand dealers' coming at 4 in the morning and being abusive when you say no entry until 6 or 7am. That's just me though.

Archived