options on a 456

norah9

we are here on a 457. very happy here except for oh's job. just wondering if its possible to leave his sponsor and work for himself. he has an abn number but i know that our conditions on the 457 mean he would have to leave within 28 days if he leaves his job. is there a business visa for self employed people over 45 years old. thanks

You cannot work for yourself on a standard 457 visa. That is one of the drawbacks of this type, the visa is dependent entirely on staying with an approved employer. If you no longer work for them, or do not apply to have it transfered to another employer, then you do not have a valid visa.

There are other types of buisiness visas, for people that want to start a company of their own - but I understand that these are for people with serious amounts of money to invest/start the company up with. Not for people wanting to be self employed as a one or two man band so to speak.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-188/

Above is the relevant link, but just briefly browsing through, I can already see that there are significant costs/investment requirements - which maybe you can afford, but I guess that equally this will exlcude a lot of people.

we are here on a 457. very happy here except for oh's job. just wondering if its possible to leave his sponsor and work for himself. he has an abn number but i know that our conditions on the 457 mean he would have to leave within 28 days if he leaves his job. is there a business visa for self employed people over 45 years old. thanks

Another of the conditions on your 457 is 8107 - which states that the primary applicant can only work for their sponsor in the occupation under which they were nominated.

The primary holder of a 457 is not permitted to engage in work for anyone other than the employing sponsor, including being self employed, as this would be a breach of their visa conditions and could result in the visa being cancelled.

Business visas are very hard to get as it requires a substantial track record of high turnover that certainly self employed individuals will not typically earn. The better option for self employed / sole trader types is skilled migration, but this gets hard after 45, nevertheless I think it is where you need to start looking.

what was your long term plan?

Archived