UK TV in Sydney

anitalund

Now this may sound sad but we are moving to Sydney next week and I'm trying to find out about UK TV and how available it is (not for me but our old age visitors who are soap addicts!). So... is it possible to get bang up to date Corrie and Emmerdale or are they a bit behind even if you subscribe to the UKTV channel? I really couldn't care less if I never see those programs again! Thanks.

You can go to various websites (for a 30 day free trial) which will allow you to get things like iplayer (which is blocked to people outside the UK). One site is http://www.unblock-us.com/. You can then use it to download the iplayer and watch programmes at will. However, after the first 30 day trial it costs something like $4.99 per month to use.

I haven't used it yet as I found it too late to watch the Tour De France this year, but will be using it to watch it next year!

I use a simular service, works really well on iplayer catch up stuff, but not so great on the live stuff, not sure if they buffer it differently. If you a bike fan, I dont suppose u know anywhere to get cheap tandem bikes in Aus do you? so far I have only found really cheap bikes for $1000 (these are like 299 in the UK) would like a recent second hand one

I use a simular service, works really well on iplayer catch up stuff, but not so great on the live stuff, not sure if they buffer it differently. If you a bike fan, I dont suppose u know anywhere to get cheap tandem bikes in Aus do you? so far I have only found really cheap bikes for $1000 (these are like 299 in the UK) would like a recent second hand one

Hi

I'm sorry I can't help. I'm not really into cycling (kids very young and the eldest has only just come off his stabilisers) but I do love the Tour De France. I find it so exciting and I enjoy seeing the scenery (and the pile ups!) I was in hospital for some of it this year and thought the Corsican section was quite spectacular in places! I also thought it was hilarious when the team bus got stuck under the finishing line - the drivers face was a picture! When I was growing up I used to love sitting and watching it with my Dad, it was our special time together every day and somehow I still haven't lost the thrill of watching it. We don't have TV here as we never watched it in the UK, but I would sign up to a service so I could watch it on I-player as I do think it is something special.

Have you tried Gumtree or Ebay Australia? Alternatively have you thought of buying one in the UK and importing it? We did it with an oven and found that even after shipping and GST (only payable on items worth over $1000) it was still significantly cheaper than over here. Alternatively you could buy them from a store in the UK and get them shipped over yourself. These chaps have just started a cheap import service from the UK. They have previously shipped between the US/Middle East and Australia but have now added the UK to their list of destinations. We've checked them out and they seem legitimate, so we may end up using them for some other items we want to bring in. http://www.shipporter.com/. You get the item sent to their warehouse in the UK and they do the rest. They seem to have good reviews on some other technical forums.

Hope this helps.

You can watch all that sort of soaps only a day after it airs in the UK. You Tube ... We couldn't live without Eastenders :embarrassed::biglaugh: so we watch it on net via You Tube. Get a smart TV that can access Internet and its even easier. I use my IPad.

Archived