UK - OZ - CREDIT CHECKS ??

Guest johnp29uk

Guest johnp29uk

Hi All

Seeing as were on the subject of leaving debt, i was wondering if leaving a bad debt in the uk would affect your chances of getting credit in Australia ? For example if i applied for a mortgage in oz in 2 years time after leaving the uk with a few old credit card bills etc will the oz company do checks from the uk credit files ??

John

• 5 months later...

Hi I can confirm that when in Oz they do not check your Uk records.

You start off with a clean slate and your mortgage will be based on your current circumsatces. Having said that they may ask you about what debt you have in the uk and it is up to you how you answer it...but they dont check.

:evil: Now Im not saying you have to tell lies,Im just making you aware that they don't check :wink:

Hiya we were told your credit rating will start at zero ,the uk and Oz arent in it together and due to the tightness of security if you did do a runner from debt Oz authority are forbidden in disclosing your info to the uk ,good luck if youve the bottle im too chicken to have left a penny unpaid

Cal x

Guest BullCreek_Bob
Hi All

Seeing as were on the subject of leaving debt, i was wondering if leaving a bad debt in the uk would affect your chances of getting credit in Australia ? For example if i applied for a mortgage in oz in 2 years time after leaving the uk with a few old credit card bills etc will the oz company do checks from the uk credit files ??

John

G'day

At this point in time, there is no way fo bad debts in the UK to affect your applications for credit/mortgage etc here in Aust. However there is no gaurantee that this will continue to be the case.

What would be of bigger concern to me, would be a scenario like going back to the UK (cos a friend dies, or Aust doesn't work out, or a holiday) and getting arrested at the airport. That just doesn't appeal.

Guest uksniper

You also need to think about the extra fees and interest that a left behind debt would incur during your absence.

You may leave what could be considered a small insignificant debt behind to return and find it has grown into thousands.

Its not worth the risk.

Hi you cant get arrested or go to jail for bad bebt...and the debt can not be transfered to anyone else unless they were joint or guarantor.

It will effect your credit rating which means that if you return to the UK and need a Mortgage ect you may have trouble....having said that there are ways round this now....I was a bank manager in the UK and the amount of people who managed to remortgage with a terrible credit rating was amazing...they do however pay a higher intrest rate(like the standard rates in OZ(ha))

Archived