Tax back

Danielle88

Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help me.

im about to lodge my tax for the past year and I'm due to go back to England in less than four weeks is there anyway I can claim tax back for July aswell or? I'm on a holiday working visa so I'm going back to England for good. I'm just not sure how it all works!

If you have overpaid tax you can claim back to the tine of the overpayment, remember the personal allowance, if you are entitled to it and it is entirely possible you are not, is pro rated anyway. I am not sure if you can do this before the end of the tax year though, if you can't then July will need to wait until next year.

I left oz last Dec and claimed my tax back when I left and got it in March. You can generally claim your tax back (if there is any due to you) early as you have left the country. If you are sure you wont be back for the current tax year, then you should be able to claim for July too, just indicate the years on the form. I phoned the ATO from overseas just to be sure so I would suggest you do that first and they can also send you the form as it cannot be downloaded from the website (for July). You can of course do the previous tax year online.