Driving Melbourne to Perth. Advice?

tashpotato

I'm looking at driving to Perth in mid august.

Was gonna sell my car and fly it, or grab a lift with someone else but i've decided to make my car a little mopre reliable (it doesnt need much).

So, plan is, take my Ford Falcon 2002 AUII and take 6 days approx to drive to Rockingham, Perth.

Has anyone done this trip? Any places to recommend visiting/staying, or to stay clear of?

I'm currently staying with a mechanic who can help me with the car and change the important bits (fan belt etc) before travelling.

I've seen different forums and advice but they all seem to say different things so I thought if i post here maybe the answers can be a little more helpful to me personally.

I'm a 29 year old English female, I dont really want to do it alone so I am looking for a travel buddy split fuel with and mainly for the company!

:wub:

Advice? Don't.... Very long and boring drive, the Nullabor is endless. Serious answer: good idea to have a companion, good luck with the trip. My father in law apparently drove solo from Perth to Sydney in a little hatchback and fell asleep 10 secs after pulling into the driveway in Sydney. They just left him there for a few hours.

Advice? Don't.... Very long and boring drive, the Nullabor is endless. Serious answer: good idea to have a companion, good luck with the trip. My father in law apparently drove solo from Perth to Sydney in a little hatchback and fell asleep 10 secs after pulling into the driveway in Sydney. They just left him there for a few hours.

Aww bless :)

I know a couple of people have said don't, but the majority have said I should, I won't want to do it again but at least i can say I've done it then!

I want to see as much of Australia as i can so flying this journey seems silly when I can drive the great ocean road and see the small towns (even if they are somewhat boring). Plus, if I fly i can't take all my belongings with me I'd have to spend a lot to post it to Perth

You are not going to try to sell your car once you get to Perth are you??

Some others may know more how it works but moving with a Vic registered car - you will then need to register it with WA, and there is critria that need to be met. I had a friend that did this a few years ago, and cost them a fortune to get car up to scratch after went over pits to get registered in WA.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20881.asp#21069

But im with the others - I wouldnt drive the distance, there is nothing to see for days on end, apart from straight roads. If you have a friend in Melbourne get them to post your stuff out once you arrive.

I want to see as much of Australia as i can so flying this journey seems silly when I can drive the great ocean road and see the small towns (even if they are somewhat boring). Plus, if I fly i can't take all my belongings with me I'd have to spend a lot to post it to Perth

If going via the GOR add an extra two days at least as that will take longer with quite a few stops, I assumed you were going to Adelaide via Horsham. Very nice drive, we have done it a few times as we live in Geelong.

But be aware of the huge distance you are travelling (over 3,500km) and that you won't really be able to drive after dusk because of wildlife on the roads. It will take well over a week if you are intending quite a few stops.

You are not going to try to sell your car once you get to Perth are you??

Some others may know more how it works but moving with a Vic registered car - you will then need to register it with WA, and there is critria that need to be met. I had a friend that did this a few years ago, and cost them a fortune to get car up to scratch after went over pits to get registered in WA.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20881.asp#21069

But im with the others - I wouldnt drive the distance, there is nothing to see for days on end, apart from straight roads. If you have a friend in Melbourne get them to post your stuff out once you arrive.

We drove over from Vic to Perth with our Vic registered car. Was told by the lady in the Rego place that you should register your car in Perth within 3 months - if you have owned it (and can prove it) for a year. If you haven't owned it for a year it has to go over the pits, however, she said no-one ever checks and if you get stopped there's no way of the police knowing you haven't just shipped it over. So, we waited till we'd owned the car a year and then just went in and registered it. No probs. We drove around with vic plates on for a bout 7 months....no questions asked.

Definitely take more than 6 days - I reckon you need a minimum of 3 days to do the Great Ocean Road, and that's without spending time at any place that takes your fancy, then you might want to spend a day or so in Adelaide. Carry plenty of fuel with you - petrol stations can be few and far between outside of towns. And don't rely on a phone supplier like Vodafone for coverage. I'm not sure if the same applies for going across the Nullabor, but I was told once that if driving outback, you should reset your milometer at every town or village you pass: if you break down in the middle of nowhere you can at least call for help and tell them you are xx km from such-and-such town.

Gumtree seems to have lots of ads on for people looking to share lifts/petrol money between cities. Although if you were my daughter, I'm not sure I'd be happy with you being miles from anywhere with a virtual stranger for large stretches of the journey, so I guess you'd have to get references or really get to know someone before travelling with them.

Archived