To darwin or not???

Kegzie

For those on WHV or seeking sponsorship, Darwin is absolutely the best place in Australia and gives you the greatest opportunity.

Its a small city but close to Kakadu & Litchfield, very friendly, great nightlife, lots of travelers, lots of people from different cultures. Lots of work available skilled or unskilled, lots to see and do and great experiences to be enjoyed. You really can't come to Australia without visiting the Northern Territory. Because its the Capital city of the North, for its size it has more facilities, more culture and more activities than any other city of its size in Australia.

Only down sides are, its hot humid weather (Nov-March), cost of accomodation is high (due to demand and just about no unemployment).

I think you've given it a better write up than it deserves Topender. Darwin is OK for a visit but wouldn't fancy living there for too long. Darwin and close surrounds are fine and the main couple of streets lively at night. Palmerston I would steer clear of. If I worked there I would live in Darwin, it's not too far to travel. Some good restaurants, especially a couple at Cullen Bay.

I thought about going to Litchfield (wouldn't call it close btw) and started the drive there. I was on my own though and decided to turn back and just have a day relaxing in Darwin and at the pub. Had some good nights there.

Paul, Palmerston, Whats wrong with Palmerston? Its a new City and a good standard of accomodation, clean, modern & friendly people (as most Territorian's are) If your very much a inner city dweller, then yes its probably the opposite of London/Sydney/New York/Delhi etc, as the population is small and things are spread out. Yes its about an hour and half's drive to Litchfield, but thats great for Camping, or longer day trip to see the National Park or parts of it as most people visit there several times if they live here, thats what I call close:) to get to a world class wilderness area.

One other downside though is that generally public transport is not very good, its improving, but you really want a car to get around. Our crime rate is quite low, sure the increasing nightlife has also increased that as it does in other cities, but you can allways live away from that.

Paul, if you did not even make it "down the track" then you really missed out, still I guess the cold beer would have been good.

Also Huss81, thats "just about no UNemployment" if you can do a days work, for some it seems even half a days work, then you will get a job, as demand for workers outstrips supply because the place is booming. Like I said that does make accomodation more expensive and competitive.

There are other great places in Australia, but the Territory has a lot going for it and even more opportunity for work.

Paul, Palmerston, Whats wrong with Palmerston? Its a new City and a good standard of accomodation, clean, modern & friendly people (as most Territorian's are) If your very much a inner city dweller, then yes its probably the opposite of London/Sydney/New York/Delhi etc, as the population is small and things are spread out. Yes its about an hour and half's drive to Litchfield, but thats great for Camping, or longer day trip to see the National Park or parts of it as most people visit there several times if they live here, thats what I call close:) to get to a world class wilderness area.

One other downside though is that generally public transport is not very good, its improving, but you really want a car to get around. Our crime rate is quite low, sure the increasing nightlife has also increased that as it does in other cities, but you can allways live away from that.

Paul, if you did not even make it "down the track" then you really missed out, still I guess the cold beer would have been good.

Also Huss81, thats "just about no UNemployment" if you can do a days work, for some it seems even half a days work, then you will get a job, as demand for workers outstrips supply because the place is booming. Like I said that does make accomodation more expensive and competitive.

There are other great places in Australia, but the Territory has a lot going for it and even more opportunity for work.

Palmerston just didn't seem to have one thing going for it. It's very hot there most of the time and even though you can't use the Ocean very much up there it's still nice to be near it. It makes you feel a little bit cooler, is nice and calming to look at and a lot of the entertainment seems to be near the Ocean. Palmerston just seem sin the middle of nowhere to me. Much nicer places closer to Darwin in one of the bays.

I'll be up in Darwin again in the next few months so will make a better effort to get to Lichfield this time.

The Darwin, a truly fabulous city. Been going there virtually every year for 45 years and seen it grow from a large town (first time in 1964 when it ended abruptly at Winnellie Caravan Park), to a thriving city encompassing Berry Springs, which was the town's main water supply in the 40s and 50s.

Palmerston was just scrub, next 'outpost' was Adelaide River.

For young, vigorous people, it can be a really great place to live.

Cheers, Bobj.

Forgot to add, it has gone from a peaceful community where one could go evening shopping and leave the vehicle with the keys in the ignition knowing full well it would not be stolen, to a place where one has to (almost) keep a big dog to protect the home.

Several cases in Palmerston where young girls would ask for a drink of water, only to suss out what was worth stealing later on.

Cheers, Bobj.