Advice on Carpenters Tools.

Agibb83

Hi All we are due to depart scotland in august for our new lives down under, i am a carpenter to trade and am getting together a list of tools in which i should be taking, which is my basic hand tools, and roughing/finishing nail guns i have got a cordless planer would this be worth bringing? (bosch) as for chop/table saws i was advised a while back to just sell them on due to the way these are wired or something would this be correct? however my main question was do carpenters use paslode nail guns in oz? the reason i ask this is if they tend to use other makes then this maybe because it is more difficult for paslode parts if these things ever required repairs. also what is the best things to clean these down? also do they want the inside of these cleaned out also. thanks in advance ps what are the cost for tools over in oz ? are they roughly the same as here in the uk?

tools seem alot more over there. just google tool shops in aus. im a chippy too. where r u moving to? have u got work lined up?

Hi surfandsea, we are moving from scotland to mandurah ive nothing set in stone yet no, are you busy enough and where are you located yourself?

im in essex uk and have loads of work. we are heading out to oz next year,but worried as i hear there is a lack of chippy work. we wanna be on the east coast. hows work up where you are?

work in scotland is not the best, it is getting better but ive now been offshore for 2 years, ( with a sparky from essex who is bonkers ha ha) really good job here but now we have recieved the visa i think its time to take the plunge and go for it, i have a few mates out there as carpenters and they have all said , there is plenty of work they got jobs with in a week or 2 of being there and this was at the start of this year.

sounds promising man. . ive jusf come back from a rwccy and the east coast is pretty slow but hey someone should employ me ill just hound evey building site till i find work.

yep im the same if i need to pitch a tent on there door step to cath them in the morning i will ha ha, its like anywhere if you put in the legwork you will find something, good luck mate

Hi All we are due to depart scotland in august for our new lives down under, i am a carpenter to trade and am getting together a list of tools in which i should be taking, which is my basic hand tools, and roughing/finishing nail guns i have got a cordless planer would this be worth bringing? (bosch) as for chop/table saws i was advised a while back to just sell them on due to the way these are wired or something would this be correct? however my main question was do carpenters use paslode nail guns in oz? the reason i ask this is if they tend to use other makes then this maybe because it is more difficult for paslode parts if these things ever required repairs. also what is the best things to clean these down? also do they want the inside of these cleaned out also. thanks in advance ps what are the cost for tools over in oz ? are they roughly the same as here in the uk?

Paslode nail guns are very popular here. The frame master is about $650 and the finishing bradder is about $600. Parts and service are widely available. Power tools are roughly about the same. I bought some makita tools recently and compared them to screwfix and they are about the same in price give or take a few quid.

The main thing that is different is that UK site power is 110v where as everything here site and domestic is 240v.

Have a look at http://www.sydneytools.com.au for some ideas.

Paslode nail guns are very popular here. The frame master is about $650 and the finishing bradder is about $600. Parts and service are widely available. Power tools are roughly about the same. I bought some makita tools recently and compared them to screwfix and they are about the same in price give or take a few quid.

The main thing that is different is that UK site power is 110v where as everything here site and domestic is 240v.

Have a look at www.sydneytools.com.au for some ideas.

thats great thanks for that, ok i think i will keep my paslode nail guns and clean them up (am i correct in saying people tend to use j's fluid for this?) also yep i was just going to buy a makita set when i get over, as well as chop/table saws etc. thanks for that info are you in sydney yourself i take it?

I'm not actually a carpenter, I'm a PM in commercial construction, I just like to dabble in renno's. the Sydney construction market is picking up after a few quiet years, I have been here since sept 2008. Be under no illusion Australia is struggling but not as bad as the UK. Not sure about WA but in all fairness things are looking up. Aussies like pommy tradies as they know they work, produce good quality and have a good work ethic. You may find it hard when you get to Australia but do give it a good chance. If you get stuck for work try agencies such as hays who have contract tradies. More than happy to give you help and advice but not a the moment as I have had a few hot toddys and feel like shite and need some kip

Archived